View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #19
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
And, I would go more psychological than physical for an answer. In a true fight or flight scenario the [and I mean TRUE adrenalin pumping, pushed to the limit situation] women are subject to "survival of the species."

I know plenty of women that can do the strength and endurance that men can - two of which do Iron Man competitions. It's the battle for the finish, or toe to toe fight that pushes your will to live in a that-shit-will-kill-you situation.

Notice how women that crash out of a sport are usually done with their racing career whereas men can get back into it easier [Jessica Zaluski and Melissa Paris as examples]? Mind fuck is a bigger factor for women than men.
Competing in Iron Man competitions is fine, but what are their times like compared to the men? The strength and endurance thing makes me think their times are slower than men who place similarly to the women you are talking about (say 50th place among men vs. 50th place among women).

The strength and endurance argument doesn't mean they can't finish a race. Obviously that isn't the case. It does mean that a comparably skilled woman probably isn't going to be able to maintain the same pace over the course of a race as a man.

I don't discount your theory, but I do think that strength and endurance differences play a part.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote