View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #45
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I delayed it as much as I could... I hated leaving Portland. It is, and forever will be... my home. Try as I may, I never got a day to go take pictures around my city... save those captured with my own eyes, and stored in my mind.
I originally meant to leave on the 27th... I actually left on the 1st. Oh well... I've got time.

So I left on Thursday, and headed north west to Astoria. I wanted to follow hwy 101 from it's most northern point in Oregon. I decided to not take the fast route through WA, but did want to check Washington off my list.

So I cross the bridge in Astoria and took this photo

Then it was on to the Goonie house... I was disappointed they didn't leave up all the defenses... but someone actually lives there...

Then it was up to the Astoria Column. The road up is the one from the movie where Brandon rides the pink girls bike down

From here... I started having big eletrical issues... the bike wouldn't start, and my GPS would only run on battery. Luckly Astoria is built on a hill side like San Francisco, so I had no problem bump starting it. I had my tools burried in my bag so I didn't feel like dig'n down, knowing it was gonna be a long process of trouble shooting. So I stopped in Seaside for the night and started the diagnosis process. Turns out first thing I checked, the battery terminals. the POS terminal screw had backed out a little allowing the POS feeds to move. I tightened them and was good to go in 15min start to finish. I'd wished I'd just busted open my tools and checked it before booking the room... but Ciest La Vie.
Yesterday I left around 8 and headed down the 101 to Cannon Beach. this is where a lot of the Goonies was shot. in fact many of the Astoria footage was blended with Cannon Beach, like the bike previously mentioned bike race down the hill.

I couldn't get close to the beach where the rock was so this will have to do

One specifically for RDS

Then it was down to Tillamook Cheese Factory for a tour and free cheese.. YUM!! I felt like I was on an episode of "How it's made" LOL
I was also re-united with an old friend...

From there it was down to Pacific City... the place I frequented after HS, as you could park/camp on the beach so party's a plenty. LOTS of pics here, dropped the bike twice in the sand... realized just how heavy she was... DAMN

Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote