View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #37
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Yes, it is, but let me run something by you here. What if you were a photographer, who used recordable media to send images to your clients, but were forced to pay a 'levy' to the recording and movie industries on every blank CD/DVD that you purchased?

You see that's the position, that we're in, here in Canada. My work gets ripped off, just like theirs does. I have no recourse other than petitioning the thieves for redress, or suing them. I don't get any of that money, that's pinched from me when I buy blanks. I don't get to 'opt out' of paying it, for my legitimate use of blank recording media.

Here, in Canada, none of the illegal downloading cases have been successful, since the day that the industry managed to have that levy passed into law. The reasoning is that they asked for a way that they could be paid, for those illegal downloads, and the GOT IT. So of course, now, they want changes in the law so that they get two bites at the apple. All well and good, but what about protection for MY intellectual property?

Your "What if you...?" argument falls on deaf ears, with me, because all that I see is unequal treatment under the law.
So you should clearly understand the need to protect personal and intellectual property.

I don't understand what the "levy" on recording media has to do with the theft of intellectual property.

This thread is about whether it is fair for people to pirate copyrighted material. If people are using your work without your permission or paying you royalties, you ought to feel the way I do that it is illegal and the thieves should be prosecuted.

Explain to me what that has to do with paying a surcharge on blank media like CD/DVD.
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote