View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Finally got over to NJ to my friend's place to plastic bead blast the cases. Nice uniform finish now.

I also had to order a seal set. Thought I had a set but didn't

I had purchased a complete bottom end from another triple enthusiast to transplant into my bike. I transfered the crank and the gear set into my original cases for my '73 H1.

I had put the cases together last night but the gears weren't shifting. After checking on the triple forum, I found out I didn't "over oil" the shift drum. It "probably" would have been OK, but I didn't want to take a chance. Better to spend an extra hour or two now than have to remove and strip down a complete motor. :cursin:

I pulled it apart last night and reassembled it again tonight. Plenty of oil was poured onto the shift drum. I made sure all the gears shifted correctly while sitting in the top case ( it gets assemebled into the top half) and checked it again after torquing the cases.

:seeya: Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got some more work done on the triple engine today. Installed the crank gear and the clutch basket. Torqued them to 85 ft lb and also found out that mechanix gloves would be a great investment. I took a some chunks out of my thumb and forefinger :cursin: Found out "new skin" burns when you put it on too :yikes:

Got the clutch installed and the sidecover. I purchased new stainless steel allen bolts for the engine too.

I put "anti-seize" on the engine side of the gasket so if I have to remove the clutch cover later, the gasket won't tear.

Also installed the oil lines and the oil injection pump.

Instead of the aluminum crush washers for the banjo bolts, I purchased "Stat-O-Seals" to use instead. They're an aluminum outer washer with a rubber o ring on the inside. They seal much better.

I put the needle bearings in the rods and installed the pistons. Still need to put in the circlips and rings before I put the cylinders on.
(pic was before I put them on)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Got a little more done tonight. Here was my first purchase this afternoon before grabbing a wrench. Took a week for my gouges to heal.

I got the last pair of XL at my local ACE hardware for $18.

I put in the circlips in the pistons. I stuffed clean rags in the openings so nothing would fall into the cases. I did NOT want to pull the cases apart again.

How's that for a "high tech" piston ring compresser I found a perfect sized hose clamp off an old air cleaner.

Since this is a two stroke with an oil injection pump, I want to prime the oil pump and fill the lines. So I got some 3/8 NPT ( national pipe taper ) half fittings that were the same thickness as the heads.

I put them on the studs and torqued them down to 16 ft lbs.

Tomorrow I"ll rig up an oil tank and make it so I can spin the engine with a big 1/2" drill I borrowed from work

'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote