View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

I primed the oil pump today. I borrowed a drill motor from work to run the crank CCW.

I did not have the stator on, so I cleaned the threads with a tap ( M8-1.25 on my H1) and used a bolt with a full size jam nut against the crank. I used a 1/4" drive 6 point socket on the bolt head with an extension held in the chuck of the large 1/2" drill motor.

The other way to do this would be with a socket head cap screw ( with a jam nut ) using a cut off allen wrench in the drill motor.

Here's everything ready to go. "Hey!! Where'd you get the oil tank?"

Works for me

Make sure the oil pump is held at maximum flow.

The 1/4" extension fit in the end of the drill motor chuck.

The drill motor was rated at 650 rpm. I hooked up a tach and sure enough, that's how fast I was turning the crank.

Here's another picture of me running the drill motor with one hand while taking a picture. It went really easy.

Lines are primed and the cylinders got oil on them ( I did have injector oil on them before I started). Later I take off the half couplers and put on the heads with new copper gaskets.

:seeya: Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I took off the spacers and installed the heads with brand new copper gaskets. Torqued the heads down to 16 ft lbs.

Now it's time to take everything off the frame to sandblast and paint it.

Sears was running a special on this 154 pc set, down from $150 to $100. English & metric in 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" sockets ( deep 6 point, and 6 & 12 point ) plus wrenches.

Here's what I started with.....

and got it to this point before dinner.

Off to pull the motor and the final few parts :seeya:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More progress this week. The frame is stripped down and will be sandblasted next weekend.

I glassbeaded and painted the battery box, oil tank mount, rectifier mounting plate, headlight bucket and the upper triple tree. Everything turned out well except the headlight bucket. A fly landed and got stuck in the paint ( right on an area you see :bas: )

I stopped over at my friend's Kurt garage and used his parts washer to clean up some parts.

The inspection sticker on the inner fender was current in 1976

'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote