View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the Harley name is more important than the look?
Nope

I'm not a hater. But I recognize what a VALUE is and ISN'T.

You don't buy a range rover for longevity and reliability. You buy it for the look and prestige it brings regardless of Clarkson saying it's the best offroader in the world

You don't buy a (NEW) Harley for the power, reliability (I've actually heard an argument at a Harley dealer bashing other brands because they didn't have dealerships in every city and they wouldn't "trust" a foreign bike because there wasn't a dealer on their route) or handling. You buy it for the name, for comfort (damn they are comfy on long superslabs...but SUCK at low speed or traffic) and to buy into a lifestyle.

Of course those stigma's really don't apply in the used market. I mean..having ridden a 2014, I could ALMOST be suckered into buying one instead of a USED street glide. I mean ALL you get with the 2014 compared to a 2013 is really appealing, and you're easily lured in by the sirens.....but once you step off the lot and realize it's $23k for a (NEW) street glide.... when you can find some OTHER sap who's obviously hypnotized by the sirens singing the 2014 praises and would do anything to rid himself of his 2010...nabbing THAT for $10k is in fact a decent value.

The older the better the value, because lets be honest...despite the introduction of PARTIAL water cooling, were still dealing with essentially 1953 technology. So picking up a 10+ yr old Ultra for under $7k IS in fact a good value. But $23k for a new one? Well...you're paying for York Penn Union labor. And having toured that plant twice, I saw the workers taking more breaks than working in a 2 hr span, that's for sure. THAT'S what you're paying for! Not quality/performance/handling/innovation. You're paying for UNION DUES