View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #33
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
There are a lot of shitty ass Pit Bull owners, yes. This breed has been selected to be the current tough guy dog by every thug in all the hoods from NY to CA. Before them it was the Rottweiler and before them it was the Doberman.

All the problems you describe, running off, crawling on guests, not fetching etc and not going to the dog part are all 100% issues caused by people. They are a very intelligent breed, loyal, great with children, powerful, determined, decent olfactory equipment, robust and healthy (few genetic issues) and have amusing fun loving personalities. They can do search and rescue work, run agility, or just serve as a good exercise partner.

All of your friends need to pick up a book and learn something about dogs before they find themselves in trouble.
Yet another factor I've found in my rather drawn out research process (yes, I'm still looking at the possibility of owning a dog) is the concept of dogs that are not for inexperienced or lazy owners.
It seems like a lot of the cases where people have aggressive or badly behaved dogs can be linked to those owners' failure to understand the special needs of the breed or lacking the skills to manage them.

...but you've kind of already said all that.