View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #74
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

So it's been a while since I've posted here... I wished it was because I was doing soo much riding i didn't have the time... unfortunatly that's not the case.* I ended up in the hospital in August of 02 because someone slashed my valve stem while I ran into my office real quick and I went down slamming my helmet resulting in a severe concussion.* So I stopped riding to work... Then at the BUTT rally I wrecked and ended up in the hospital again with another severe concussion...* two months later I moved to Denver, Colorado, and though I had some good rides in the snow, I wasn't about to commute in it LOL.* So it wasn't until this weekend that the Dakar made it's first appearance this year in the mountains of Colorado.* I didn't do as much riding as I'd hoped, but i need to get used to long days in the saddle again, and I had prior engagements that cut one day short.

I did make a ride down to Pikes Peak on Saturday though.* Gorgeous day, so I stopped and took the obligatory photo of the Dakar

I was bummed to hear from the ranger that the road was paved all the way to the top, but once I got north of 11,000ft I was OK with it.* The winds picked up and with no guard rails... had me wondering if a concussion would be the least of my problems if I went down here.* I also noticed my confidence on the bike was not what it was... I was stiff and couldn't relax on the way up.* Not sure if it was because of my offs... or the time away from riding.* I made it to the top eventually and was astonished at how little effort it took for me to feel out of breath.* I'm in for a hell of a wake up in a couple weeks when I run the Mt Evans ascent (14 miles starting at 10k ft finish at 14k feet.)

Anyways... here are a couple pics from the top

Then I decided to use my new(ish) Sony NEX-5n that I bought purposely for motorcycle trips for the ride down.* I put the neck strap on and shot these as I coasted down in 2nd (held me right at the 20mph speed limit)

Yesterday I took off planning on riding nearly 400 miles, something well within my comfort zone, or used to be.* I found I'm needing to ease myself back into long days, as my butt is the limiting factor.* Anyways... the day started off fantastic... got an earlier start so the weather was cooler.. but still in the 70's.* At the first gas stop I strapped by camera strap through the tank bag to hold it secure but still able me to take photos while riding.* Took some getting used to, and I need to work on holding the camera level, but as I'm shooting with my left hand and not taking my eyes off the road (except on a couple) I think out of 300+ shots I got 100 that were keepable... and about 20 that are worthy of showing.* Here are a few

My trip took me on and off road and I found this little abandon building... and when on a motorcycle ride... abandon building=photo op.

The dirt ended just up around the corner from this, and as quickly as it showed up, it vanished (probably less than .25miles) and I was transported back in time, I just wished the photos had turned out better

Most people pose for self shots... not me... Mid verse of The Man Who Sold The World, done much better by Nirvana
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote