View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #19
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

JMHO:

Nothing wrong with good used guns. If it's a carry gun, it means you intend to bet your life on it functioning first time every time so test it with a lot of rounds before you buy it. If you don't know guns, spend a few bucks and have a good gunsmith check it out.

Taurus...any of them built in the last 10 or so years are stone reliable...but all the units I've shot have stock high effort and very crunchy triggers, but can be cleaned up with a little smithing.

S&W... very good quality but high effort DA triggers but good smiths with SW experience abound.

Colt... wheelguns are expensive but the closest to custom ready...autos are expensive but need a little work. Small and medium framed Colt wheelguns are a bit fragile when stoked with a regular diet of +p's, but they do need the least amount of tuning when you find a good used one with low round counts. They ALL shoot sweet.

Ruger... some of the best guns built for the money. Period.

Glock... stone reliable, shoot well, good used units can be had in the $400 range.

HK... some of the finest handguns built if money is no object.

Walther... usually very good. Pricey.

Star... Spanish builder that put out some pretty rough stuff in the 70's and early 80's, but really improved quality in the last 20 years. They are no longer imported into the states, but good used examples can be had for $2-300. I have a PD and a Firestar M40 and they have literally 1000's of rounds through them without a single jam or misfire. The M40 is steel and heavy, but shoots very well and the PD in 45 ACP was my comp gun for years and now serves as my carry gun that I switch off with a venerable 44 sp. Charter Arms pitbull.

There are bunches of 1911 clone builders out there and most are pretty pricey.

Sig...wonderful guns but pricey.

Para Ordnance...expensive and uneven quality.

Kel-Tec...lightweight, tiny.....and crap. Had three; bought one and had it replaced by the factory twice more....none of them shot reliably and I tried every 9mm ammo out there. I was tired of heavier guns and REALLY wanted the Kel-tec to work cause of the light weight, but I wouldn't bet my life on one.

Beretta...never shot one (fancy that) but the US Armed Forces and a slew of law enforcement departments can't be wrong, right?
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote