View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #76
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
Well after 100 washes our oldest dirtbike still has plenty of bearing grease left, so you can claim whatever you want.
Really? Good for you. I'm curious as to how you arrived at this conclusion. I'm curious because the wheel bearings in your YZ250 (like the wheel bearings in just about every other modern bike on the planet) are of the sealed variety. Sealed, as in sealed at the factory when they put the grease in. So unless you have x-ray vision, or you pulled your bearings apart with a can opener, you have no fucking idea what is, or isn't in there.

Quote:
Dirtbikes these days ARE built to withstand pressure washing unlike the bikes of your era.
My era? The oldest dirt bike at my place, is a 2001 KTM 640, so, so much for that theory.

Quote:
Fork seals are the most common failing part, however I HARDLY would say it comes from pressure washing the forks.
And what causes fork seals to leak? Grit stuck between the seal and the fork tube, right? And what's the easiest way to insert grit? Shove it in there with water at high pressure, yay! It really ain't that hard to figure out.

Quote:
You can talk all the science on paper you want,

Science and Texans....I should have known that would be a problem.

Quote:
I KNOW from experience of 4 years of pressure washing it takes a LONG time for water to really wear out bearings and bushings, thankfully those are replaced when they need be.
I think the whole point, is that without the pressure washing, they wouldn't have to be thankfully replaced quite as often.

Quote:
So I'll take my chances with what works versus what doesn't.
The big question is, why? Is it a power tool thing, cause I understand that, I'm a power tool kinda guy. What the fuck are you riding in, that's so hard to get off of your bike? I ride in some nasty, mucky red clay and that shit comes off just fine with a regular hose. I might wash my bike with a pressure washer, if I rode through a giant pile of AIDS or something, but that's about it.

JC