View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
That's recommended for someone who can ride the bike to it's actual capability. About 80% of 450 motocrossers will never reach that, much less trail riding it.

And it's most likely valve checking every 15hrs in that "cylinder head service", once you have that all open you can just check and see if it's blowing up oil in there. It's good to check valves, but I know plenty who go awhile before any major adjustment. They go can anywhere from 30 to 50 hours. Hell my bike had 58 before the previous owner checked it and only 1 valve(out of 5) barely needing adjusting.

If you motard the bike that will require slightly more frequent checks as you'll be reaching much faster speeds and the motor can be spun up much higher in the RPMs than just sticking to dirt and using the retarded torque it makes.

I do recommend REGULAR air filter changes and depending on what oil you use, you can get away with the full 15hrs. ALSO since it's a brand new bike, please get one of these for it.

http://www.btosports.com/c/HOURMETERS-ELE

They make the WORLD of difference in logging when you need to service it. Have it installed before you even kick the bike over once to ride it.
My point is, that for trail riding a trail bike is so much better and easier to live with.