View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
CasterTroy

If you decide to go with a BMW/MB/Lexus know that you MAY be able to afford the vehicle, but you DO NOT want to own one unless you know what it costs to own one. AND you want to KEEP it.
Trip knows.....ask about BMW maint for a bike
No different for the cars. If you can afford what it takes to properly maintain one, they will last 400k. But you HAVE to be diligent in the maintenance, and be willing to spend the money when and where it's needed.
This is why you don’t see many younger people driving those cars…it’s usually the 45+ crowd. They’re done with buying disposable cars and would rather invest in something long term.
IMHO this also will speak to your potential clients.
Hydrant and Trip are exactly right….whether you’re raping clients or barely making it, the IMPRESSION will be you’re squandering their money.
I’m an engineer, and I don’t make what people perceive engineers to make. But my WIFE does pretty well. As a result we have 2 decent cars, and an explorer. Whenever I go to meet a client or an architect, I ALWAYS drive the explorer. Because if an architect saw me driving a nice car they’d assume our ridiculously LOW fee is WAY too high, and we’d get screwed even harder. So I drive the explorer. Same with a client. I go meet them in the explorer so there isn’t any pretentious impression.
Image is more about how you carry yourself and not what you drive. You can be classy in a pinto