View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

The objective of the Texas threesome was to ride twisty mountain roads, not to ride across Texas. I've driven across Texas in a car many times. I was stationed down there in 1971. No air conditioning, and mending fences so I would have a place to stay. The driving has been blocked out of my mind, but not the people I met and stayed with.

I hate interstates. I-70, east of Denver, is not much fun. An hour into Kansas and you would trade your dog for a curve or any type of turn. I-70, west of Denver blasts through the mountains. It's loaded with SUV's and 18-wheelers. I can get to Idaho Springs by using twisty backroads. Most of them empty. That makes going over the Divide a lot easier after doing some twisties.

But a lot depends on the bike. I wouldn't take my 30-year-old bike, and probably wouldn't enjoy being on a race replica. My CBR is a terrific sport/tourer. Taking it across the Divide to Glenwood Springs or Moab is major fun. But I was never on a schedule and could take plenty of twisty side roads. Even dead ends. I'm fixing that sucker.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote