View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic
Thumbs up Buell Owners: NightRider XiED

Buell Owners. They make one for you too! Read up.

Knight Rider Performence is not only a great place for bike tech but also sells a few select performance parts as well.

Their bread winner has to be the XiEDs.

Quote:
Don't let the Harley heat monster ruin your riding.
Reduced Engine and Exhaust Temperatures
Reduce Engine Surging
Improve Throttle Response
Reduce Engine Ping
I like to keep in mind the intended purpose of each bike. My Ultra is designed to trek me cross country in comfort. It is not a hot rod. It gets a bit hot and throttle response could be improved. The Nightster runs cool enough for what I notice, but throttle response sucks.

I figured it this way. I have 2 choices. First, aftermarket tuner + dyno time, which adds up to $500+/-. Gain some added power, cooler temps, better throttle response. Second, and my choice, NightRiders XiED, which will give me cooler temps, better throttle response, and maybe?

I have been waiting all year for the new 2009 FLH XiED to be certified. They finally were and I picked up a set for the Ultra and a set of X14iEDs for the 2009 Nightster.

The Ultra's, which I have yet to install. The added wire is to correct the new FLH dirty ground.

The Nightster's X14iEDs

The plug-n-play installation is just that.

Front:

Unplug the O2 sensor here

Put the X14iED inline between the O2 and the bike's wiring

Then tuck it in somewhere keeping it away from hot items

Used 2 zip ties and the existing clamp to keep it tight and clean

Rear:

Stock wiring plug here

Unplug

Plug in and zip tie into place

I added a step, that wasn't in the NightRider instructions. I pulled the maxi fuse for 15 mins. Then reinstalled that. Took the bike for a nice 15 mile ride.

First thing that I noticed was improved throttle response at idle. It use to plup then rev off idle when you whack the throttle. 75% of that is gone.

In gear, clutch out, and twist the throttle. I instantly notice the throttle response. I swear they installed a few extra power points. Couple that with the throttle response and the end result is all big grins. I'm amazed!! It feels like it added 5-10hp.

I still need to do the Ultra install and report back. I'm also going to have the brother in law ride the Nightster for a 2nd opinion (he's rode it a few times). But right now the weather is poopy for the next 4 days.

More to come...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote