Thread: Iron Butt
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Have you looked at the Iron Butt's website yet? If not, you should. They have the forms you need and spell out how you need to document everything.

Frogg Toggs? Ugh. My best friend had some of those and they were a waste of $50. I'll stick with my Aerostich.

One thing I did forget to mention. Doing a ride like this *is* mental. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. I'll give you an example.

The 24/1000 I did on my TLR. Left Suches, GA at 8am. Arrived Oklahoma City at 4:30am. I was flat exhausted. We also had to stop for a couple of hours due to super heavy rain. I wasn't the seasoned rain rider I am now and I've definitely ridden through worse than that.

When I did the 36/1500 on my Busa a couple of years later, I left Oklahoma City at 9pm Friday night and arrived back in Oklahoma City at 8am Sunday morning. I made it with 45 minutes to spare. At the 1000 mile point of the trip, I was in western Kansas and I was still fresh and good to go.

Here's something I do that might help you out mentally. Don't think of it as *Man, I gotta ride 1000 miles.* Think of it as *I have to ride XXX to the next gas stop.*. In my case, I break it up into 200 mile segments, since that's about where I stop for gas. You'd be surprised how much easier it is mentally when you think about it like that.