View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default Tire Knowlege Needed

So I was just at the Cleveland International Motorcycle show this past weekend, and ran into the guys that run the "Moto Series" that I've been thinking about getting into. We talked for a good while and told the guy that me and my buddy were intersted in getting into the racing school they offer, so we could get our competition lisence. We signed up for the April school which got me thinking... oh shit, what am I going to do about a ride?

I think I'm pretty sure I'm not going to race the baby Viff, just based on how old she is. People keep telling me that bikes like that get raced in the vintage series all the time, and that they do just fine. The problem is I dont have the cash to just up and buy a track bike yet. So I figure I will use the viff to do the track school and make a decision from there on what im going to do. Hopefully I can save up a little cash by then and can jump on a nice race prepped sv or something. The problem with the viff is tires, they are small. Like 110/90H-18 rear small.... It will definitely need new tires before the riding season starts anyway. So I might as well begin to plan what I would like to put on it for spring/track school. Sport Rider ran a section about tires in the June issue and gave a listing of tires that will fit. What do you think is the best option??? Does anybody have experience with these.

-Battleaxe BT45s - H Rated
-Avon Roadrider - V-rated The Avons are also available in slightly wider versions for both front and rear
-Continental TKV Ultra - H Rated
-Pirelli Sport Demon - H Rated

*EDIT* - and if a wider tire is available that would fit like the Avon note says, what is a better tire size for a track day???? Tire size noob here.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote