View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
People keep telling me that bikes like that get raced in the vintage series all the time, and that they do just fine.
And they do. I've seen far less worthy machines on the track. You're not going to set any records, (well, speed records anyway...) but that's not the point of roadracing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
The problem with the viff is tires, they are small. Like 110/90H-18 rear small....

...and if a wider tire is available that would fit like the Avon note says, what is a better tire size for a track day???? Tire size noob here.
Fatter does not always equal faster. You can, in fact, go backwards. Depending on the profile of the tire, and the stiffness of the carcass, stuffing a fatty on your skinny-ass rim, can result in a smaller contact patch.

These are not the droids you are looking for.

You'll be better served with tires that fit the rims, and paying very close attention to the pressures you run, and under which conditions you run them. In other words, buy a little fucking note book, and write that shit down.

That said, there may be a slightly over-sized tire out there that will give you more grip. Then again, more grip comes with slower transitions. So......

Find out who the fast guy is, and run what he's running. But wait, you ain't him. Shit. Those tires may not work for you. Now you are seriously fucked. Your tires are too big, bike handles like a wheelbarrow, and girls won't go out with you.

JC