View Single Post
Old 02-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I keep not buying this and I'm not sure why... I guess that like OSP I don't plan to keep a bike long enough to make it worth while. Of course that's stupid considering that my last 4 or 5 bikes used the same filter! Not to mention that it's my understanding that most Japanese bikes can use the same filter.
Exactly as said. The filters can be cross referenced. This is because the filters, filter better and flows better. Some of this idea type will be explained shortly on my Evo vs Twin Cam motors for HDs, below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
To add on to what GM said, they also filter cold oil better according to the manufacturer. So they're also less likely to by-pass on start up when you need it most.
True because of higher PSI the filter goes to by-pass. This is not an issue on the SS filters cause they flow better and more consistantly.

I'm going to post up a thread I worked on back in June for another forum...

About EVO vs Twin Cam oil filters.

I always knew there was a difference as decribed but it bugged me when HD came out with their new oil filter that works on both motors. So I started into my homework.

topic that came up on another forum... the appropriate oil filter for the correct application. For BDB, some big dog owners have twin cam harleys, and we have had the K&N 170 vs 171 debate. I also include the notorious K&P in my research that I will start to post now...
It's going to get long... hopefully worth your time...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote