View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #23
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I've ridden up Lookout Mountain at least a thousand times. You wouldn't believe all the trash, animals, rocks, and vehicles that have been in my lane around the next corner, so every ride is like a scouting run. That sand is one thing that was still there on the way down when I happened to stop and happened to have my camera.

I wanted to show that I had my head cranked, that I was looking around the corner and not fixated on the sand. That I saw that there was no traffic, that I made a decision to go around the sand, and that I was able to lean a bit more. There was nobody behind me, but I hope it looked so smooth, that anyone else would have thought I had planned it.

Speaking of sand, did anyone see Keith Code's column a few months ago about putting sand in a corner? He used one of his bikes with the outriggers so it can't tip over. He put sand in a corner and told his students to just ride through the sand. The ones that just rode through had no problem. The ones who braked or tensed up "crashed".

There's always sand on roads around here after it snows, but there's usually clear tire tracks through it. There was no tire tracks through this sand. I probably could have ridden through it, but it was easier to just avoid it.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote