View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #63
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I personally feel like you should wear full gear every time you leave the garage. I have done the t-shirt thing before, but I think I and everyone else who does it is asking to be disfigured and crippled. That being said, I'm against helmet and seatbelt laws. If you're a grown man you have the right to make your choices. If they bite you in the ass, that's your problem. And don't give me that shit about insurance rates rising, the insurance industry will fuck you no matter what, safety gear will not affect the depth and savagery of their reaming one way or the other.

I go to the shop I go to because they actually will try to counsel riders on which bike to buy. They're not overt about it or insistent, but they will make suggestions. When I was buying my first bike they steered me towards a model I could handle. I wanted the next bigger class and bought that, but I've ridden what was recommended and they were right, it does fit me better without the adjustments I've had to do to mine. They always recommend gear and will give discounts to new riders along with a bike purchase. Their employees don't always ride in full gear but they at least wear boots, pants and gloves.

Whenever I get a new rider interested in a bike I always talk to them about gear first, riding later. If you go down in your gear, you'll probably be able to ride again. If you go down bare you might not. Why risk it?