View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #30
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Today was a tough day, hardest I've ever had on a motorcycle.* I knew it wasn't going to be easy when I looked outside. (first pic I got was once I loaded the bike)

I was smart enough this time to position my bike so that leaving was easier... however I still had to navigate up this little incline to get to the exit, and a nice long down hill on to the street (no pic)

I snapped this photo with my cell to show ya what the street were like in Elko that morning... think'n they'd be clear once I got onto the highway....

I was wrong..* but this is the summit... 25miles down the road... should get better... right?

Wrong again.... this is 45 miles later

in the end it took me 5hrs to go the 85miles from Elko to Owyahee.* I was EXHAUSTED.* The shear concentration it took to ride on that for that long was crippling.* The wind wouldn't allow me to ride under 20mph or it'd tip me over(almost lost it every time I stopped) but over 20 It'd push me sideways... and on ice that means you SLIDE.* like no shit SLIDE across the road.* It was everything I could do to keep from going off the road in the wide open area's where the wind was able to really wick it up.* I had to stop 3 times to thaw my fingers... (unziped my side zips on the Roadcrafter and sat on them for 5 mins LOL) and my toes were killing me.

I did have one surreal moment.* going through the canyon just before Mountain City, the road was clear (thank god) and I was doing as fast as I daired... when a Bald Eagle sored up to my left.* It shadowed me off to my left for 5 or 6 corners.* Every time I looked up, it would look down at me.* At that moment I honestly forgot all about the cold and the trip, the exhaustion and the ice.* All I could think of was how amazingly poetic this moement was, and at the same time I was heartbroken that I had no way of capturing the moment.

As quickly as he appeared, he left.* Welcoming back the cold, exhaustion, and ice.* I reached Owyahee at 1300, and stayed there for an hr.* I bought some of the toe warmer packets to thaw my toes... they're supposedly able to reach 100*F... but with a pair under my toes and a pair on top... I was just barely comfortable.... maybe next time I'll sandwich them between pairs of socks... (hope there is no next time though)

Crossed the border just outside the shop

From there on the roads were mostly clear.* only a shady spot here and there... but the WIND kicked up something fierce.* even so... the lack of Ice made this portion enjoyable and really had me smiling in my helmet all day

I twisted my wrist and hauled ass to Boise, where I took a good long break and decided that Ontario OR is where I'd stay the night.*

I had to cross the bridge then cut behind the guard rail for this photo... so worth it...

HOME!!!

Tomorrow... PORTLAND!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote