Thread: Xmas ride
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #24
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
Two of my buddies have done the London On to ottawa trip in 1-2 degree weather, and they were fine(without winter clothes).
They're better men than I. I tried to go to Moncton to meet Redrider in 5c.I made it 30 minutes to the airport before I started to become a danger to myself and those on the road around me. I stopped and warmed up for an hour, before I made the half hour trip back and hopped straight into the shower until I stopped shivering.

I'm not saying it's not possible. Shoving a watermelon up your ass is possible if you have the resolve to do it. But, who'd want to??

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
but 101 was talking about the bike... that's what Partical was replying to...

I know it'll be cold... but I think I'll be fine... I'll have several layers on, three of which are wind proof.

now that I think about it....

I've done a couple hours on snow machines (snow mobile) in AK.. in -15*... doing 50mph with bursts up to 70mph... I was fine... had thermals, sweats, over pants and jacket liner and shell on. balaclava, gloves with liners... and that's it.

I was really surprised I wasn't cold... course that was more cardio work than just sitting on the bike too... so who knows.

I don't expect to hit the REAL cold till north of Omaha anyhow. I'm not seriously worried about the cold... just a bad snow storm.
Gotcha, misunderstanding on my behalf. The bike will be fine once its at operating temp.

Edit: I used to ride on the back of snowmobiles all the time with nothing more than a small jacket and jeans on. It's hardly the same. The trees block the wind, you go fairly slow when you're not in wide open areas. And you rarely do the kind of distance on a sled that you would on a motorcycle.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote