View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #13
vickibocc
Meh

Moto: the backseat of an '06 600rr

I grew up in NJ so I can do the best I can to help you there. I love Jersey. People talk trash, but I'm from central NJ where most things are normal. A lot of people commute to NYC from central jersey but it would be a bit longer. There are trains obviously that will cut it down, but by car, she's be looking at about 40-45 min commute. A 2 bedroom apartment will run you anywhere between $1000-$1800 depending on where and what you're looking for.

Princeton is a really nice town but very pricey. Right outside of Princeton is where I grew up, a township called South Brunswick, which is very close to Rutgers. Really anywhere in central jersey would be good (Counties: Middlesex, Mercer, and Monmouth). North jersey is where the guidos are. South jersey is all Philly fans, and I would say too far for a daily commute.

What is expensive in NJ is property tax, so if you'll only be there for 2 years or so, it would be a good place to be since you won't be buying.

Surviving on 80K, very possible. My mom recently bought a new construction home on that salary (she's single..it is a small house though). My dad probably has double that salary and has a bigger house on about an acre, my step mom doesn't work, and they have a 5 year old. So I think you guys would be fine on that salary, just hope its more than 50k, that would be a little tight for 2 people.
vickibocc is offline   Reply With Quote