View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #27
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
As far as affordability goes in NYC, you can get a 2 bedroom for about $1200 in a decent area in Queens are Brooklyn. I personally prefer queens since I grew up there...Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens are the only places in Queens were I would live, but thats my personal choice. They are all close to mass transit and have good shopping. Established neighborhoods so they are not up and coming like Astoria or Williamburg which is the new "it" place to be. It will take about 1 hr to commute down to the financial district though. Another thing to keep in mind is that with rentals in NYC there usually are broker fees. My apartment in Forest Hills- the upfront deposits where, 1st and last months rent, and month and a half broker fee (negotiable).

These apartments don't have anywhere for you to park your stuff and they are getting increasingly difficult with pets though some do still accept them. How big are your dogs? You can find street parking though but it will be tough to park a truck since its parallel parking on the street. There are also alternate side parking regulations for street cleaning. Parking your bike on the street is also a bad idea since it will most likely get stolen. You might want to look into parking your stuff in a garage but that will cost a few hundred dollars a month.

Honestly having guns isn't a must like a lot of places outside of the city. People break in when you aren't home, not when you are there and they will scope out your schedule first before they attempt. And unless you are being a jackass no one will go and mess with you (which is a moot point anyway since you won't be able to carry)

Parking and animals may be different in LI or CT (but i have no insight on that) but I am just speaking for Queens and BK. You won't be able to afford to live in anywhere decent in Manhattan on $46k, and be able to park your truck with bike and all. Take home on $45k is about $2400 a month. My brother is paying $2200 a month for a one bedroom in midtown.

If you plan on taking EMT classes John Jay has a course. Its in the 50's and 10th ave. (around there anyway)

Actually Inwood in the Northern most tip of Manhattan may be running about the same rent. But you would still have to get some kind of secure parking in a garage a few blocks away. The men are a bit creepy there though which may bother your GF when she is walking alone (as it did me) when they leer, catcall, follow and try to grab her to talk to her.
My sister is paying about 1800 a month for a great studio by world trade. Doorman and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote