Thread: 2010 moty
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Ebbs, I don't disagree with the overall sentiment, many surveys are just worth their weight in paper.

As far as your take on adventure riding, that 1200gs is the bomb diggity mack daddy of adventure riding. It is much more than a "big dirt bike" as it not only handles off pavement maneuvers, but can take a distance ride without too much wear on bike AND rider.

FWIW, KLR was the runner up.
yeah I wasn't trying to discount your post or stir up an argument (glad you didn't take it that way)

Like I said... the GS is a great bike... but not the best off road... yes... a great rider can take it places I can't go with my DRZ... but that's all rider skill.

shit look at trip... I'm sure he'd be able to do just about anything I can do on my DRZ on his GS... but he's got skill in loads beyond mine.

I guess it's like PM said... varying definitions of Adventure. for me, Adventure needs to throw in some off road. otherwise... it's just touring. now depending on what kind of off road your talking about... the GS could be king... but I think it's just too big to be truly at home off road. JMO

but I may be bias... as I'm starting to dislike big bikes... more and more with the DRZ I'm loving how small and nimble they are... and wonder why you'd ever want to have 500+lbs of bike (not including gear) to maneuver around.

I heard a good quote about adventure riding
"at the end of the day... you'll never wish your bike was bigger or heavier... you'll only ever wish it was smaller and lighter" Austin Vince
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote