View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #22
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Interesting take on it.

I will say this - Harley has the market saturated. And, although they have more riders that go without protective gear, they also have more riders that are willing to get out there and ride. After going across the country, there are more riders out there on the open road on Harley Davidson's than any other bike.

Sportbikes say they ride. Bullshit, Harley riders do ride the fuck out of those bikes....
Eyes open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Comparing cross-country riders on HDs to cross-country riders on supersports is not a fair comparison. There are other types of riding than superslab. Sportbikes are not well-suited to long stretches of straight roads any more than Electra-Glides are suited to track duty.

In all honesty, though, if I wanted to ride a really long way, I would be far more likely to do it on something like a Connie 14 or BMW than anything HD.
I put on some honest miles and I know many more guys on HDs that out do me 10 fold. They are on their bikes nearly every day, every night, and go on big trips. I would, I simply don't have the free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
Sport bike manufacturers come out with new updated models every year so people want the latest and greatest. Harleys never seem to change much. why sell your harley to buy a new one that is exactly the same?
So you proved you know little to nothing about HDs. Just for the FLH line alone off the top of my head...

2008 - fly by wire throttle, brembo brake controls, abs brakes option
2009 - new frame design, new forks, brembo brakes, new wheels size & design.
2010 - optional 103 CI motor, limited model offered
2011 - standard 103 CI motor, cat. converter exhaust

Just saying... you don't know and that was proven.

Why they aren't called squids?

Honestly, it's a decent question. I think as a whole it's a traditional thing. Understand, that these guys have been riding for far longer than the high tech gear has been around. Many of the HD riders are older (this is changing slowly) and in typical fashion of age, don't feel the need for added protection. The mentality that "they've made it this long without", reigns prevalent. Good bad or indifferent, you can't convince many of these old dudes.

This will be a different tone in the next 10 years. There is a different breed coming up. My breed. If you want to see this... come to the next rally in sep.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote