View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
very very nice. That is a schmexy bike that is fun to be on
This is a very derf-sized motorcycle. Much more compact than I expected and it looks positively miniscule beside my WR. A little less leg-room than I would prefer but overall the ergonomics are very comfortable. This is a real standard, not a sport-standard like almost all of the Japanese offerings over the past decade or so.

My 80-mile ride home last night (via expressway, city traffic, and mountain twisties) left me with very positive impressions. It's quicker than I expected; not brain-melting fast by any means but torquier than I thought it would be. And even pretty smooth. The clutch-engagement and throttle response are excellent... a huge plus just coming off a Yamaha FZ6. The transmission is a little clunky but not terrible, and it will probably get better as the bike is broken in.

The real surprise was in the handling. I immediately felt comfortable on this bike from the moment I let out the clutch; it is a very balanced motorcycle. Low-speed maneuvers are a breeze, the budget front-end provides better feedback than other supposedly higher-performing bikes I've owned, and the ride overall is just very controlled. Quick, light steering paired with good straight-line stability.

The build-quality is a little on the cheap side, but I guess my expectations shouldn't be too high for something in this price range. A lot of cheap chromed plastic, and body parts you think at a glance are metal, aren't. Still a very handsome machine and unmistakable for anything else on the road.

It's kind of a bitch to clean... drainage on and around the engine is inadequate, leaving pools of water everywhere to spot/corrode if it isn't blown off. I'm reaching for complaints here, because I really don't have many...

Accessories will include a center-stand (which should be standard equipment on all bikes of this type, but whatever) and racks for my Givi hard cases. Otherwise I'm leaving it as-is.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote