View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #16
CasterTroy

Before I learned of the joys associated with owning a BMW (not bragging….it’s just none TOLD me these things or I’d done what I could to get one SOONER ) I bundled up with my snow ski gear and it worked just fine

I wore overpants that you can get at any ski shop that block ALL wind whatsoever, and my ski jacket with my ski gloves. They weren’t the big ass cumbersome jobs you wear when playing in the snow…they were form cut to allow you to grip your poles and move your fingers. But they were warm.

I could go to 30 or so in JUST that on a TLR/R1 type limited wind protection bike. It was rough and generally I would shiver pretty badly but I dealt. Once I rode in 28 degree weather for 100 miles to southern VA to meet some buddies for a ride. I had to leave the house at 5am in December for this ride (was supposed to get to mid 50’s so we decided to do a 350 mile loop of shady valley and back) and when I GOT there the sun finally decided to rise and bring the temp up to a blistering warmth of 32…..THAT was a day that took me a week to warm up from.

NOW….with the heated grips and wind protection of the RT I can do in the 20’s easy, but my main fear with THAT kind of temperature is ice across the road. We don’t have any resemblance of decent snow/ice removal here in NC because it happens, what tach? Like 3 times a year?

I just recently got a pair of Gerbin’s heated gloves for the motard days…so I should be good down to 30 on IT too now. But that will require the ski pants and a baklava too.