View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 AM   #20
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
I saw two examples of riding today. While riding some twisty roads, I saw a Harley tourer coming toward me that seemed like it was going too fast to make a turn. I slowed down expecting him to crash or run off the road. Then I saw something that was pretty rare. He leaned waaaayyyyy off the bike. And made the corner without scraping anything. He was barrel-chested, so he was putting a lot of weight to the inside of that curve. He had no helmet or leathers on, and was grinning from ear to ear as he accelerated by me. He must have had lessons.

While I was walking the dog this evening, a scooter rider came around a corner with his knee way out and almost hitting the ground. Except his scooter was weaving and scraping. I thought he had a flat tire. Then I looked up from his scooter and saw that his body was leaning the opposite way. His upper body was exactly perpendicular to the ground. Luckily for him there were no parked cars as he swung way out or he would have hit them. He needed lessons.
By hanging off and shifting your weight into a turn you're able to go around a corner with less lean angle. There's tons of articles on this. Maybe you should pick up a copy of "a twist of the wrist".
http://www.atwistofthewrist.com/

The moped was probably counter weighing that thing. I think the ONLY time this would be useful is for real tight U-turns or just navigating thru a tight spot while going REAL SLOW...that's about it.