Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default Shocks and struts.

So pardon my french, but FUCK MY LIFE.

So my 02 Ford Taurus for sure just blew a left strut, and possibly a shock in the front after hitting a very massive pothole in my friend's neighborhood today. My question is.... How hard would it be to replace both if, me and a friend just did it in my driveway with all the parts and tools???

A mom and pop shop I usually go to quoted me at $220 if both shock and strut end up being fucked. I beleve if I go to a Midas/Goodyear type place it would damn near be double that.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

You may need an air gun and some special tools for compressing and decompressing the springs.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I've done it myself, just rent a spring compressor from AutoZone. You don't need an air gun, just a very long wrench with a pipe on it to break the hub bolts loose.

And each corner of your car has a strut or a shock, but not both. A Taurus is going to have struts in the front. Not sure what it has in the back.

Get OEM replacements, or maybe Tokico......don't mess around with Monroe or Gabriel junk.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I've done it myself, just rent a spring compressor from AutoZone. You don't need an air gun, just a very long wrench with a pipe on it to break the hub bolts loose.

And each corner of your car has a strut or a shock, but not both. A Taurus is going to have struts in the front. Not sure what it has in the back.

Get OEM replacements, or maybe Tokico......don't mess around with Monroe or Gabriel junk.
Yeh its not hard, just annoying to do at best. Buy yourself a haynes or clymer manual for $20, it will give you a step by step, with pictures
Old 02-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

For $220 from the mom and pop joint, I'm not going to curse and throw wrenches for four hours in my driveway. Forget the fact their quote sounds insanely cheap to me. Pony up the $220 and forget about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Yeh its not hard, just annoying to do at best. Buy yourself a haynes or clymer manual for $20, it will give you a step by step, with pictures
$20 for the manual, $40 for the spring compressor tool, and how much for the parts? Fuck it, take it to the ma and pa place.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
For $220 from the mom and pop joint, I'm not going to curse and throw wrenches for four hours in my driveway. Forget the fact their quote sounds insanely cheap to me. Pony up the $220 and forget about it.
That's probably because they plan on installing a Monroe garbage $30 strut.

Also I doubt they included alignment in that quote.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #7
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
That's probably because they plan on installing a Monroe garbage $30 strut.

Also I doubt they included alignment in that quote.
Dude, it's an '02 Taurus... it came stock with Monroe Garbage POS911 struts... And either way he'd have to get an alignment. I'd tell 'em "$250, including alignment, and you'll like it."
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Crap, your right. Strut in the front, shock in the back......

Quote:
Thats what I'm figuring. I don't have much money, but that was a maximun quote too! This company has saved me a ton of money in the past 2 years. They were the ones that fixed my car for $85 when a Goodyear told me that I had blown my head gasket and would require a $1900 fix.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Dude, it's an '02 Taurus... it came stock with Monroe Garbage POS911 struts... And either way he'd have to get an alignment. I'd tell 'em "$250, including alignment, and you'll like it."
Who knows who made its OEM struts.........All I'm saying is that Monroe's retail struts are garbage....they're way too soft
Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Either way, even if it is the same garbage it will be an improvement with fresh struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote