Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default Bye-Bye Pontiac

You will be missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
CasterTroy

Quote:
The company said it would phase out its storied Pontiac brand no later than next year, and the futures of its Hummer, Saturn and Saab brands will be resolved by the end of this year by either selling them or phasing them out.
About time!

How many times can you make a cavalier and rebadge it? Saturn NEVER made a profit, And who the hell is buying $62k H2's now?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
pauldun170
Serious Business

Bye bye G8 with yer big ole V8
Bye Bye G6 - the rental everyone picks
Bye Bye G5 - Was that a Cobalt with a Nose Job that I spy?
Bye Bye G3, OR Aveo or POS Deawoo that you be.
Bye Bye Soltice, said the Miata "See ya at the auction bitch"
Bye Bye Torrent... wait hey Equinox...where'd yer nose job done went?
Bye Bye Vibe even though as a Toyota you will survive.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 04-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
AquaPython
put it THIS way

always loved the old trans ams and GTO. i think the beginning of the company's fall from grace was the DISSERVICE they offered as a GTO comeback. looked like every other boring ass sedan on the road, what the fuck was the point? i remember seeing concepts looking like a firebird on steroids and that looked fucking sick. but when they dropped that shit on the public, i turned my back on them 4EVAR!
AquaPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Kinda sux but not at all surprised.

It does suck for all that are losing their jobs though.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post

It does suck for all that are losing their jobs though.

Absolutely.....and had the union not demanded that starting salarys be above $20 an hour for something that SHOULD be worth $8 and hour, they may have never gotten so far outta control
Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
always loved the old trans ams and GTO. i think the beginning of the company's fall from grace was the DISSERVICE they offered as a GTO comeback. looked like every other boring ass sedan on the road, what the fuck was the point? i remember seeing concepts looking like a firebird on steroids and that looked fucking sick. but when they dropped that shit on the public, i turned my back on them 4EVAR!

I REALLY liked the 04-06 GTO especially the 05\06.
I've spent time in classic GTO's and too be honest, I could care less.

I really wish they din't slap a GTO badge on the Monaro because then it would have been able to stand on it's own merits vs all the "It doesn't look like the old GTO" nonsense.

It didn't help that it looked like a cavelier in pictures but in person I thought the car looked great (with the exception of the Pontiac grille).

It's too bad about the G8. I would have liked to see that platform send the Impala off to pasture.

The G6...had so much promise.

Problem was that Pontiac could have put a Ferrari 612 on it's lots that got 100MPG and sold it for 20K and it still would have not sold well.

Attitudes and assumptions rule the day, and when you have media and Consumer Reports telling everyone that Toyota and Honda are the only vehicles anyone should buy I think your pretty much fucked unless you have money and commitment to stay with a long term focused plan backed by solid marketing.

Maybe if they went the VW route and marketed to gay Mac owners and college girls then they could have succeeded.

Quote:
Old 04-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #8
AquaPython
put it THIS way

i never liked the pontiac grille that they slap on pretty much every car they have made in the last 20 years. why did they insist on using that? did they test well at some point? i cant imagine anyone liking that bullchit. always looked horrible
AquaPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Absolutely.....and had the union not demanded that starting salarys be above $20 an hour for something that SHOULD be worth $8 and hour, they may have never gotten so far outta control
Agreed
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Rider
Moto GP Star

So is it a done deal? I heard 2 rumors. One being GM was going to close down Pontiac production, the other was that GM was going to divest themselves of Pontiac and they would run on their own independently of GM. The local news channels on Friday were speculating that they would close down Pontiac, but I haven't had a chance to looks at the news today.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote