Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125
Default Typical Saturday night in Tampa Bay...

This was about a mile from my house... http://www.baynews9.com/Chat.cfm?eve...ntentId=487220

PINELLAS COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- Four men were seriously hurt in an overnight motorcycle crash on the Bayside Bridge.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, just before 11 p.m. Saturday, four motorcycles were traveling together on the south side of the Bayside Bridge when Michael J. Parasi, 39, hit the brakes, setting off a chain reaction of crashes behind him.

Investigators say the motorcycle driven by 40-year-old Allen R. Vanett rear-ended Parasi. Then a third motorcycle, driven by 26-year-old Armondo Bonafe, crashed into the first two motorcycles. Finally, the motorcycle driven by 25-year-old Felix Borges crashed into Bonafe's motorcycle.

All four drivers, and a passenger, 19-year-old Devon Spencer, who was riding with Parasi, were thrown from their motorcycles and went skidding down the road several hundred feet.

Vanett, Parasi, Spencer and Bonafe all sustained serious injuries. One of the victims was flown to the hospital with serious injuries, although officials did not say who that was.

Borges sustained only minor injuries.

Investigators said they do not believe alcohol was a factor in the crash. They also said that all of the men were wearing helmets at the time of the crash.
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Ouch!
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I'm kinda wondering why he hit the brakes and was the last guy in line asleep or what? Maybe Devon was dishing out a little hand job action...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I'm kinda wondering why he hit the brakes and was the last guy in line asleep or what? Maybe Devon was dishing out a little hand job action...
I can almost guarantee they were doing 150 mph and were probably on stretched Busas. It's hard to slow down when you only have one brake caliper in the front. This happens every Saturday night. The only reason it even made the news is because there were 4 of them. From what I hear, one of the bikes went over the wall and into the water...
Old 06-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceaholic View Post
I can almost guarantee they were doing 150 mph and were probably on stretched Busas. It's hard to slow down when you only have one brake caliper in the front. This happens every Saturday night. The only reason it even made the news is because there were 4 of them. From what I hear, one of the bikes went over the wall and into the water...
Hmmm could be... It doesn't really say.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

according to the TSB guys, it was a group that was PROBABLY heading to the lot to stunt, so its likely they were attempting to do endos at triple digit speeds and failed.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #7
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
according to the TSB guys, it was a group that was PROBABLY heading to the lot to stunt, so its likely they were attempting to do endos at triple digit speeds and failed.

There is always that possibility also...
Old 06-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #8
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Well, given WHERE it happened, either one is a good probability. we know that area is known for all sorts of squidly shit.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

That's some impressive riding right there!
So you have a lot of mid-lifers riding ghetto bikes down there? Around here very few of them seem to be over 30. I saw the ages of the first two and assumed they were Harley Bikers (tm), but then I saw they were wearing helmets and was all
Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
That's some impressive riding right there!
So you have a lot of mid-lifers riding ghetto bikes down there? Around here very few of them seem to be over 30. I saw the ages of the first two and assumed they were Harley Bikers (tm), but then I saw they were wearing helmets and was all
Yea me too! I mean I'm kinda a squid at 44 years old but I thought I was the exception. I was surprised by the ages as well. Not to mention the reactions of the locals on the blog.