Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Default Gee, what a surprise...

Too much TV psychologically harms kids: study

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Hiding the TV remote and games console controller is a good thing to do to kids if it's the only way to limit the time they spend in front of a screen, according to a study published Monday.

The study, published in the US journal Pediatrics, found that kids who spend hours each day in front of the TV or games console have more psychological difficulties like problems relating to peers, emotional issues, hyperactivity or conduct challenges, than kids who don't.

And contrary to what earlier studies have indicated, the negative impact of screen time was not remedied by increasing a child's physical activity levels, says the study conducted by researchers from the University of Bristol in Britain.

The researchers got 1,013 children between the ages of 10 and 11 to self-report average daily hours spent watching television or playing -- not doing homework -- on a computer. Responses ranged from zero to around five hours per day.

The children also completed a 25-point questionnaire to assess their psychological state, and the time they spent in moderate to vigorous activity was measured using a device called an accelerometer, which was worn around the waist for seven days.

[Related: How to buy the right TV]

The researchers found that children who spent two hours or more a day watching television or playing on a computer were more likely to get high scores on the questionnaire, indicating they had more psychological difficulties than kids who did not spend a lot of time in front of a screen.

Even children who were physically active but spent more than two hours a day in front of a screen were at increased risk of psychological difficulties, indicating that screen time might be the chief culprit.

Earlier studies have found that while more time spent in front of a screen led to lower well-being, physical activity improved one's state of mind. That led researchers to believe that upping physical activity levels could counteract the negative impact of watching TV or playing on the computer.

And many parents and children think that spending a lot of time on the computer or in front of the television is OK if it's part of a "balanced lifestyle", the study in Pediatrics says.

"Excessive use of electronic media is not a concern if children are physically active," the study says.

But its findings indicate that might not be the case, and the researchers advise parents to limit their children's computer use and TV viewing time to ensure their "optimal well-being."
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:10 AM   #2
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Hmmm, I vaguely remember seeing something on TV just the other day that talked of the same subject, but cited other studies that exonerated television viewing as being a negative.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I'm amazed that this is news to people

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I wonder if that is less of a 'watching TV' issue and more of a parenting issue. I'd imagine the kids that spent 2+ hours per day watching TV or being on the computer didn't have parents that are as active in their activities as the kids with less than 2 hours of TV time.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I wonder if that is less of a 'watching TV' issue and more of a parenting issue. I'd imagine the kids that spent 2+ hours per day watching TV or being on the computer didn't have parents that are as active in their activities as the kids with less than 2 hours of TV time.
For a lot of these kids, the TV IS the baby sitter/parent....it's sickening...go sit down and watch TV....so "Mom" and "Dad" can do something OTHER than parent their own kids.

And we wonder why there are so many half wit sociopaths running around....
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Its about teaching time management, not demonizing things that need to be used in moderation just like almost EVERYTHING
Old 10-12-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

No TV before age of 2 and no more than 1.5 hours at a clip after 2yrs.
Those are my rules.

My wife is a little looser with the rules than I am but generally we're not big on the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
No TV before age of 2 and no more than 1.5 hours at a clip after 2yrs.
Those are my rules.

My wife is a little looser with the rules than I am but generally we're not big on the TV.
I like those.

Even 1.5 hours seems like a bit much.

I think the kids will do what their parents do. If Mom and Dad are plopped in front of the TV for hours on end, that is what the kids see as normal.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I like those.

Even 1.5 hours seems like a bit much.

I think the kids will do what their parents do. If Mom and Dad are plopped in front of the TV for hours on end, that is what the kids see as normal.
1.5 hours covers most kids movies.

So <insert PIXAR\DISNEY movie here>

or

3x30 minute shows throughout the day
Wife usually lets them watch a show while she showers and while she makes dinner.

I'll let them watch a show if I'm cranky and they are bored. Usually at the 45 minute mark (and a cup of coffee) I'm turning off the TV.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 10-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
My wife is a TV\Couch person.
I need to be doing something...

Quote: