Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 11-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
fun-times-always
Squid

Moto: 2004 R1
Default please help w/ overheat

first post here, a friend on mustangforums recommended this site to me concerning a problem with my 2004 R1. the bike has 5000 miles on it, mostly stock save for exhaust, intake, and other small stuff. the story is mostly i brought the bike to a self car wash to hose it down. it has ran just fine the entire time i have owned it, but after washing it, it was overheating on the way home bad. i stoped a couple of times just to get it 15 miles. the light comes on, on the dash. is there something i may have hit with that sprayer or pulled a wire off or something of that sort? i am pretty new to the bike world. any help i would appreciate much. thank you much. my intent is maybe its a quick fix insted of paying a dealer lots of money for.
fun-times-always is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:06 AM   #2
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Check make sure all your coolant lines are still connected where they should be, and that there is coolant in the system.
Then check to see if the thermostat wires are all connected.

and FYI, high pressure water and bikes aren't the best combo in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
fun-times-always
Squid

i will, thanks for your help on that, and wont make that mistake again
Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

yeah shit just get a bottle of Meguires quick detail and spray and wipe after every ride and you'll be good. no need to ever wash the bike with water imo unless you get caught in some nasty rain or some how get nailed with mud...

on the main issue... yeah check to see that you didn't somehow dislodge a hose... also check that your fan is working... you may have unplugged the fan if there's a quick disconnect you hit with the high pressure water.

how long ago was this? does the bike overheat when it's idle'n or only at speed? does your fan come on... how is your coolant level?

when you washed did you try to avoid the motor with the pressure washer? or did you intentionally wash the motor? be honest... that pressure is a lot for hoses and wires...

good luck bro.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:46 AM   #5
fun-times-always
Squid

i didnt put any DIRECT pressure on the engine, the sprayer was a fair distance from the engine. the fan works, and it works well. Its louder now than i have ever noticed before, and it will not overheat at idle, i can let it idle for a long time, nothing, but at any speed at rpm greater than say, 3k it will start and i smell a burning smell. i hope this info helps a little bit too. thanks again
Old 11-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun-times-always View Post
i didnt put any DIRECT pressure on the engine, the sprayer was a fair distance from the engine. the fan works, and it works well. Its louder now than i have ever noticed before, and it will not overheat at idle, i can let it idle for a long time, nothing, but at any speed at rpm greater than say, 3k it will start and i smell a burning smell. i hope this info helps a little bit too. thanks again
How long ago was this?
Old 11-17-2008, 03:03 AM   #7
fun-times-always
Squid

this happend back in july, its been in the garage since then, but days are still great and i got the bug again (not far from phoenix, az) and thought it would be worth a try to fix. i see your in Osan too, i spent 2 years between Daegu and Incheon
Old 11-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #8
LOZ
clutch it up bitches!

Moto: Honda CRF50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun-times-always View Post
i smell a burning smell.
but what kind of burning smell? burnt rubber, burnt coolant, burnt oil? be more specific.

this is very good info. it means that there is a leak. you shouldnt be smelling anything else besides exhaust fumes... so if you smell burnt up coolant then there must be a crack on one of the hoses. sometimes the crack is so small that it wont leak unless the coolant inside is under a lot of pressure, in other words, really hot. and that is why it only overheats when you go passed 3Krpm.

also check the radiator itself, it could be cracked as well. I had a similar situation when I bought my truck. all the hoses were fine, but the radiator has a small crack at the bottom on the right side, that was almost impossible to spot....

you might want to take off your radiator and check it manually. then plug it and run water through it to see if you can spot it coming out anywhere...

spotting a leak on a bike shouldnt be too hard. just take off the plastics, have somebody hold the throttle over 3Krpm and wait till you start smelling the burn, then carefully look at all the hoses. use something to move the hoses around, so you dont burn yourself.

hope this helps.

-Loz
LOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:31 AM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOZ View Post
but what kind of burning smell? burnt rubber, burnt coolant, burnt oil? be more specific.

this is very good info. it means that there is a leak. you shouldnt be smelling anything else besides exhaust fumes... so if you smell burnt up coolant then there must be a crack on one of the hoses. sometimes the crack is so small that it wont leak unless the coolant inside is under a lot of pressure, in other words, really hot. and that is why it only overheats when you go passed 3Krpm.

also check the radiator itself, it could be cracked as well. I had a similar situation when I bought my truck. all the hoses were fine, but the radiator has a small crack at the bottom on the right side, that was almost impossible to spot....

you might want to take off your radiator and check it manually. then plug it and run water through it to see if you can spot it coming out anywhere...

spotting a leak on a bike shouldnt be too hard. just take off the plastics, have somebody hold the throttle over 3Krpm and wait till you start smelling the burn, then carefully look at all the hoses. use something to move the hoses around, so you dont burn yourself.

hope this helps.

-Loz
Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 AM   #10
t-homo
WSB Champion

Seems like you should have a pretty good chance at finding the culprit. A lot of good info and a lot of fuckin knowledge on here.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote