Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple
Default The Biscuit Barn

Why is it that the most run-down, dirty-looking shit holes can often have the best food?

I must have passed this place hundreds of times before today, never stopping in. The first 6 months we lived here, I thought it was an abandoned building. Turns out, it's only open for breakfast and they sell pretty much one thing - buttermilk biscuits. They'll give you whatever you want on it, but biscuits is what they do.

This morning I didn't feel like cereal, or eggs, or a piece of fruit - I wanted something different. So I decided to risk the hepatitis (seems I could catch it just by standing near the place) and hit the "drive-thru" of Guy's Biscuit Barn. Ordered a chicken biscuit and holy Cheesus.....this is the best fucking biscuit I've ever had in my life. Flaky, yet still slighly crumbly....but it doesn't fall apart in your hand like most do. Man, that shit was good. I'll probably have a really small lunch today, because I'm still full after that. I never would have thought such a shithole made such good biscuits.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

because that's all they got to entice people. dives are awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Agreed.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

There's a dive in a strip plaza back in Fort Lauderdale called "Alligator Alley". Dark, dirty, smelly and sticky little bar that serves lunch on Fridays. We'd go there every couple of months for lunch and have some of the best cajun food.....then go to the clinic for some booster shots after.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Werd.

Plus they're not worried about how the place looks... they know they make good shit, and they know word of mouth will bring more people in the door.

I know you guys have Dreamland BBQ up in Atlanta now, and it might've changed since they've gone bigtime, but the first time I went to one, it was somewhere in the middle of shitville... it was a hole in the wall, they served their food on styrofoam plates, had rolls of papertowels on the tables, and it was basically ribs, ribs, ribs...and oh yeah, ribs. They managed to have a couple sides (including FANTASTIC banana pudding), but you went for the ribs. And they were the best fucking ribs you'd ever put in your mouth. But again, total dive...

Last edited by neebelung; 05-28-2009 at 10:02 AM..
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Never heard of Dreamland. Best BBQ place we found up here so far is Williams Bros. in Canton.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

The one thing I have learned about people saying what is the best BBQ is that you never listen to them. BBQ is such a wide open food with many varieties and different types/tastes of sauces and people's preference to these many types makes it stupid to listen to anyone about what is the best BBQ. Reason for this rant is I recently went to the supposed best BBQ in near Bristol, the famous dive one that all the NASCAR drivers go to when the races are in town and it was some of the shittiest food I ever had eaten. I am still pissed off about spending money there. GRRRRRRR!
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
The one thing I have learned about people saying what is the best BBQ is that you never listen to them. BBQ is such a wide open food with many varieties and different types/tastes of sauces and people's preference to these many types makes it stupid to listen to anyone about what is the best BBQ. Reason for this rant is I recently went to the supposed best BBQ in near Bristol, the famous dive one that all the NASCAR drivers go to when the races are in town and it was some of the shittiest food I ever had eaten. I am still pissed off about spending money there. GRRRRRRR!
Kind of like Redezvous in Memphis. Very well-known and everyone says how great it is.... IMO It's OK, nothing spectacular.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #9
Rider
Moto GP Star

Speaking of BBQ. Dixies BBQ in Bellvue, WA is fantastic. Sandman's here in GR is outstanding. I bet Tigger has been there a few times. It's in the worst neighborhood in town. Down in the hood, but the food in amazing. Rib Tips....
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Kind of like Redezvous in Memphis. Very well-known and everyone says how great it is.... IMO It's OK, nothing spectacular.
Yeah, I have found a lot of the real famous places around here seriously overhyped. There was this catfish place that is a dive too, apparently it use to have a catfish pond where they farm raised them. Might of been good back then, but apparently the owners got lazy and now just buy frozen catfish. I could of gotten a better meal out of the kroger freezer. Disappointing.
Quote: