Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...
Default Cell Phone Carriers

I know it's been discussed before, but I don't care...

Who do you use? What is your plan?

I currently have Verizon - 450 minutes and unlimited texting, $65/mo + tax.

I am thinking about switching to get a better deal as I want to upgrade to a BlackBerry and whatnot... I want good coverage nationwide as sometimes I travel. Verizon has been fantastic as far as that's concerned...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Verizon has the best network in the states, no question. It's pricey compared some other deals. I get a fat TVA discount though, so that makes me happy.

Me, Corey, Ebbs, and Quick all have the BB Storm and like it. Once the new OS or if you are capable of upgrading to one of the stable leaked OSes, it's much better than the standard laggy OS.

Nothing really beats the iphone though, but AT&T blows goats in coverage, especially for travel.

BB Storm has a sim card and GSM capabilities, it's a worldwide phone that's got access to the much greater coverage CDMA network in the US.

If you get a BB, you can kill off texting and block it and have everyone email you instead of txt you. Anyone who can text, can email from their phone. You can also email to their txt email addresses just like txting. Easy way to save coin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 02-20-2009 at 09:53 AM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

ATT. 450 minute plan. They blow goats for quarters...steer clear....unless you're into that sort of perversion.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

Verizon 450 plan. No data plan of any kind. I get a 15% discount through work. All of my friends and family are on Verizon so I get to talk to them without using any minutes.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Verizon has the best network in the states, no question. It's pricey compared some other deals. I get a fat TVA discount though, so that makes me happy.

Me, Corey, Ebbs, and Quick all have the BB Storm and like it. Once the new OS or if you are capable of upgrading to one of the stable leaked OSes, it's much better than the standard laggy OS.

Nothing really beats the iphone though, but AT&T blows goats in coverage, especially for travel.

BB Storm has a sim card and GSM capabilities, it's a worldwide phone that's got access to the much greater coverage CDMA network in the US.

If you get a BB, you can kill off texting and block it and have everyone email you instead of txt you. Anyone who can text, can email from their phone. You can also email to their txt email addresses just like txting. Easy way to save coin.
Everything he said. I switched from AT&T to Verizon. AT&T actually had good customer service, but their cell service eats dick. I had a lot of dropped calls or calls that would be routed straight to voice mail with no notification from my phone. No thanks.

And I just don't buy the iPhone as the wonderphone. It has some great features, without a doubt, but when the phone part of it is all but useless, what's the point? I bought an iPod touch recently. It's all the good parts of the iPhone without the shitty phone part or the garbage camera. I'll stick to my Storm, where I can actually have phone calls without them dropping out, or send an MMS message *gasp* or cut and paste.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Everything he said. I switched from AT&T to Verizon. AT&T actually had good customer service, but their cell service eats dick. I had a lot of dropped calls or calls that would be routed straight to voice mail with no notification from my phone. No thanks.
Same here.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

AT&T, 3 phones, two with full data and texting usage unlimited, 3rd phone has texting unlimited, one of our phones is the BB Bold (it ROCKS!). They all have yahoo, msn and aim messengers and we have 1400 minutes and pay about $160 a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 PM   #8
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
OSP in your case for verizon, I would probably look at the Blackberry 8830 if you want a full QWERTY keyboard.
Quote:
I live between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, two large cities with supposedly excellent coverage area for AT&T. I know this because they told me every time I called to complain about dropped calls and my phone going straight to voicemail that I was in an excellent coverage area and shouldn't be having these problems. But still, didn't matter much.

Why an 8830 as opposed to the 8330? Or the eventual 9030? Unless OSP is in a field where a camera phone is a no no, the 8330 is a slightly more capable phone, and the 9030 is going to be even better.
Quote:
just looked to see what was the newest blackberry qwerty out that verizon carries right now.
Quote:
8830 is a nice phone and the keyboard is nice too, but it lacks a camera and is very much geared towards the business client, much more than the 8330 is. The 8330 Curve has all the featuers of the 8830, plus a camera, slightly better battery life, and a little more flash memory. It's slightly smaller too, if that means much of anything. The trade off between the two is the 8330 having a camera and more flash memory, and the 8830 having dual band abilities and a slightly better keyboard.
I'll be honest, I haven't done shit for research on phones yet... One of my minions at work just got a Pearl and it's super fucking money awesome. I like it cause it's not ginormous, but still has the functionality.

Really the only things I want are:

Texting (or email txt)
Internet
Instant email updating (BB rocks)
Camera (quality not a big deal cause it's just cock picks to various girls)
and something that's not as big as my wireless keyboard at home (old ginormous BB's FTL)...
Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:

I really wasn't considering the Storm, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. I dunno... I just like actual buttons.

That email/text thing is fantastic... never even thought of that. If I were to text you, I would put in your email addy instead of your phone number... and it just works as a text?

That's actually pretty awesome.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #10
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I really wasn't considering the Storm, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. I dunno... I just like actual buttons.

That email/text thing is fantastic... never even thought of that. If I were to text you, I would put in your email addy instead of your phone number... and it just works as a text?

That's actually pretty awesome.
yep, you just need to figure out what each carrier's email txt format is, like verizon is:

XXXX represent numberes, just making up a phone number

865988XXXX@vtext.com for text
865988XXXX@vzwpix.com for media messages. I usually just send to media messages.

Yeah some people prefer buttons, there are some nice full button BBs with verizon.

Go to crackberry.com to look at reviews for each phone once you figure out which ones verizon offers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote