Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM   #15
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Here in FL, many schools offer what's called an ERC - Experienced Rider Course. It's recommended for riders with at least a year of riding experience, and it's taken on your own bike. Basically variations of some of the same exercises you learn in the BRC (Basic Rider Course), to learn the limits of your OWN bike, but in a controlled environment.

I believe it's a 1 day class, and runs about $100.
Oh I totally hear what you're saying and BTW I passed the MSF course twice and on my own bikes,which was a V-max the 2nd time and not some oversized moped I could carry around the course,so nyah thankyou! (the Army used to make you take it every so often) I've also taken track classes and the like. I am not against the MSF course itself! I just have a problem with MANDATORY that's all. I'm sure that every little bit helps to keep accidents down and all but we all know that taking driver's ed doesn't stop kids from driving like manics 5 minutes after they get their licenses! That's where the company you keep comes in. It's like when your parents told you,you shouldn't drink,smoke,have sex before marriage,etc but as soon as you're out of the house...it's on! I also find it strange that a state that recinded it's helmet law has made MSF mandatory. It all smacks of politics and money to me,that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Here's the thing, it's not exactly mandatory. The state is no longer going to be giving the test, and you have to have an endorsement in order to register a motorcycle. But, MSF Schools can choose to offer a state-approved licensing test, which you take on your own bike, and after which you can go to the DMV and get your license. So you don't have to take the BRC.

I already know what you're going to say, and yes there will be a fee for the license test, but I think the cost is fixed by the state, and will most likely be ~$50. The fact is the person administering the test needs to be paid, plus there are costs associated with making and maintaining a range (the state-test uses a different layout than the MSF test, so you need a separate range).
Well then....nevermind! I was told it was mandatory! To me it would be like making veryone go to "Sears Driving School" before they could get a license!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote