Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Dirt

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #25
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

I finally got it dirty!

Pics

It was my first off-road ride. Round trip from meeting place and back was about 90 miles. 75 miles or so of that was dirt & gravel.

Gravel roads still make me feel uneasy, but as the day wore on, I got more and more comfortable.

I came close to eating shit about 3-4 times on the ride. There were some monster ruts out there!

This pic was the gnarliest section we rode. It was a "road", but I use that term loosely. We rode down into a valley and back up the other side. The pic is taken after I rode the section, and the guy on the hill was riding a V-Strom. He went down and tweaked one of his bag mounts.

Props for even trying that section on that bike. He decided he didn't want any more of that and bailed out, though.

I quickly found the value of all the cash I blew on real MX gear, especially leg protection. I was in mid "oh shit" moment in a rut, and stuck my leg out to save myself. Had I not been wearing MX boots and Asterisk knee braces, the least that would have happened was a pretty badly twisted ankle. I might have even tweaked my knee. I didn't go down, and didn't get a scratch. Had I been wearing even street boots, I'd be limping around today; I'm sure of it.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote