Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #31
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

The "BMW of 4x4's" comment just made me because I thought..."then what is an actual BMW X3 or X5" that's all...or a Range Rover...Hummer...but I know what you meant.

"Trail Rated" obviously is a marketing tool meant to highlight the Jeeps abilities to do some off roading compared to other vehicles designed for the street with or without 4x4...AWD...or 2x4.

It's not designed for hardcore off roading...yeah I know...DUH !!

All the "Trail Rated" designation means is...

The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording.

A random Jeep of every model is sent to a military test site in Nevada to test those conditions. If that particular model passes it gets Trail Rated.

Traction:
Traction in 4x4 is equivalent to grip on Asphalt. Trail Rated® traction helps you stay in control on untamed terrain, slippery (wet, mud, snow) conditions, and on steep grades.

Ground Clearance:
Don't drag your belly through the mud—just clear nasty logs, rocks, and uneven ground without sustaining undercarriage damage. Jeep® Trail Rated® 4x4s feature optimized approach, departure, and breakover angles to keep you in the clear.

Maneuverability:
Athletic. Agile. Trail Rated®. Jeep® 4x4s have the footwork to navigate narrow gaps, dodge emergency situations and avoid cosmetic damage to underbody sills thanks to precision steering and optimized wheelbases. Even gazelles don't move like this.

Articulation:
A Trail Rated® suspension is limber like a gymnast. How exactly? Flexibility is the key to good articulation. The more a wheel can travel, or flex, the better it can maintain contact with terra firma and provide the traction needed to cross an array of obstacles.

Water Fording:
Hit that riverbed with confidence. Trail Rated® Jeep® 4x4s feature additional electrical and body sealing, along with a high air intake location for optimum water fording capability. Note: Do not attempt water fording unless depth is known to be less than 19 inches

An old video showing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBjZCybzqlk
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote