Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #11
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae View Post
After my last trip to ATL, I can only say some of ya'll up there are INSANE!! I was speeding, going quickly to avoid being run over and was passed as if I werent moving more than once by fellow SB riders. I admire their abillity to navigate the traffic, but they were riding like it was the Isle of Mann or something with no regard for cagers, and I can only assume they help to further some stereotypes...perhaps they are new and dont know better, but my only thought as they passed me wearing lil or no gear was "RIP"!
Well you do see very little gear in the Metro area (Mainly due to hot weather and the average speed being 5mph on the normal roads). However for the crazy driving. I'd hate to say it but you about have to drive like a jackass to not be ran over. When on the interstates I normally maintain between 85-100mph to be slightly above the flow. And then when you hit the surface streets is where the real fun begins.

The only motorcycle benefit to living in the Atlanta area is even with "Gixxers" and Busas ruling the streets. You can see all kinds bikes just cruising around. If you think buying an Aprilia, Ducati 1098, Guzzi, MV Agusta or stretching your bike 12ft is going to grab a lot of attention. Think again because there are 10 more like you within a 10 mile radius. Same for cars. Driving a Ferrai, Lambo, Lotus, etc isn't going to grab much attention.

On the plus side you can roll about 90mph in a 55 and pass right by a cop without them thinking twice about it. The downside though is those police charges (Specifically the Georgia State Patrol) have a top speed of 165mph which means he could pit manuever my bike.