Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 10-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #21
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Sure, accomplice to breaking the law..

There doesn't need to be a law that says, "you cannot give somebody your gun to commit murder". Its a given that if you assist in breaking the law in any way, you're an accomplice.
There is a law, it is not a given.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #22
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
You are lucky. If that happened here your friend most likely would have been charged with impaired driving or whatever they call it when you are under .08 BAC but they still want to fuck with you. If the cops here take the time to bring you to get breathalyzed you are probably getting arrested for something unless the meter shows .00.
Oh I agree but actaully it was my friend that was lucky and not me to a certain extent. They chose to not charge him with anything but yes I guess they could have.

However as far as me being lucky...the possible charge was "Aiding and abetting a DUI"...well since he didn't blow an .08...I could NOT be charged with anything since his .06 did not constitute a DUI. That is the exact words the magistrate used when the officer asked about me.

They could have charged my friend still being under the influence though as you and I both said.

Actually I WAS LUCKY on another point. There was a loaded Glock under the driver's seat that was mine. I immediatly told the officer about it too but no big deal was made of it I guess because we didn't give them any negative/cocky attitude at all at anytime I do have a conceal carry permit but obviously that goes out the window when under the influence. I knew that at the time but again...after the officer's looked at it and since I had volunteered the info and everything checked out when they ran a check on it and my non existant criminal record...all was good. It may also have helped that I work in Executive Protection for a very large prominant company and work with LEO's and ex LEO's everyday.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Oh I agree but actaully it was my friend that was lucky and not me to a certain extent. They chose to not charge him with anything but yes I guess they could have.

However as far as me being lucky...the possible charge was "Aiding and abetting a DUI"...well since he didn't blow an .08...I could NOT be charged with anything since his .06 did not constitute a DUI. That is the exact words the magistrate used when the officer asked about me.

They could have charged my friend still being under the influence though as you and I both said.

Actually I WAS LUCKY on another point. There was a loaded Glock under the driver's seat that was mine. I immediatly told the officer about it too but no big deal was made of it I guess because we didn't give them any negative/cocky attitude at all at anytime I do have a conceal carry permit but obviously that goes out the window when under the influence. I knew that at the time but again...after the officer's looked at it and since I had volunteered the info and everything checked out when they ran a check on it and my non existant criminal record...all was good. It may also have helped that I work in Executive Protection for a very large prominant company and work with LEO's and ex LEO's everyday.
That seems to be the best plan. Don't be a dick and hope they reciprocate. It definitely would have been a lot worse for your friend, but I'm guessing your car would have been impounded, you having to get a cab home, and getting a ride back the next day to bail your friend and car out. From my experience a cop can make your life as miserable as they want, the charge is irrelevant.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #24
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
That seems to be the best plan. Don't be a dick and hope they reciprocate. It definitely would have been a lot worse for your friend, but I'm guessing your car would have been impounded, you having to get a cab home, and getting a ride back the next day to bail your friend and car out. From my experience a cop can make your life as miserable as they want, the charge is irrelevant.
Agreed 100 %.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #25
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
You're very likely right there. It's probably response to outrage or, as is unfortunately quite common these days, in order to avoid possible outrage. I couldn't count how many people I've known over the years, who borrowed bikes so that they could LEARN how to ride.

It's not illegal to operate a vehicle without a license on private property, if you either own the property or have the owner's permission to do so. There are some exceptions to this, but for the most part my statement is true.
The article is very vague, it never says if he left the parking lot, or even if he was wearing a helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Guilty, without a trial.
Welcome to Daltario
Old 10-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #26
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
The article is very vague, it never says if he left the parking lot, or even if he was wearing a helmet.

Welcome to Daltario
As much as I'd like to blame Premier Lair for all of this, I can't. The racing and stunting law and ramped up penalties for NOT being drunk in the Province of Ontario were both pushed through under Bill 203, which was voted for UNANIMOUSLY by all members of Provincial Parliament. That means that all three of the major parties supported it completely.

Some of the other crap that's been put forward was actually instigated by Frank Klees, who is a PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE member of Parliament.

They're all bastards who put 'feel good' legislation, that will garner votes from special interest groups, above their duty to make good law. In some cases when someone asks that a law be passed in order to stop something from happening the best answer is, "No."

We didn't have a problem with street racing. Ontario's streets are statistically the safest on the continent.

We didn't need to come down harder on people who have a couple of beers and then drive, with a blood alcohol level below legal impairment. The people who cause injuries and deaths are typically 2 to 3 times the legal limit and have been driving like that for years, frequently without a valid license.

Shaun de Jager has a great website about this stuff and gets the occasional radio interview, to try and raise awareness among the Ontario public. Pass it on.

http://www.thelonelyrider.com/

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote