Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #21
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
I can't see me, in 10 years being able to ride a street bike for very long... with as track focused they've become in the last 5 years... I can't imagine how uncomfortable they'd be for even a 100 mile jaunt.

the numbers are impressive... but I don't see a point... but then again I'm not a racer. I would rather them focus on makine the bike more rider friendly, little more attention to safety... brighter headlights... tail lights, blinkers, and mirrors that aren't just after thoughts... guages that tell us more info... or has GPS built in... a sport tourer that is more sport than tourer... something with the comfort of a late 90's street bike but with the handeling, weight and power of a 08 or 09.

Idk... just my thoughts

I agree and have always said each of the big four needs more choices just under the race replicas, focused more on practicality for the street oriented crowd.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #22
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Maybe they should graph how the midrange torque has decreased as the horsepower and rpm range has increased. I use midrange torque dozens of times a day. High rpm horsepower? Once a day if I'm lucky.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #23
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
I can't see me, in 10 years being able to ride a street bike for very long... with as track focused they've become in the last 5 years... I can't imagine how uncomfortable they'd be for even a 100 mile jaunt.

the numbers are impressive... but I don't see a point... but then again I'm not a racer. I would rather them focus on makine the bike more rider friendly, little more attention to safety... brighter headlights... tail lights, blinkers, and mirrors that aren't just after thoughts... guages that tell us more info... or has GPS built in... a sport tourer that is more sport than tourer... something with the comfort of a late 90's street bike but with the handeling, weight and power of a 08 or 09.

Idk... just my thoughts
On the fly ergo adjustment ala Akira... There's no reason that rake and trail, handle bar reach, seat height, etc couldn't be adjusted like in a car.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #24
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Maybe they should graph how the midrange torque has decreased as the horsepower and rpm range has increased. I use midrange torque dozens of times a day. High rpm horsepower? Once a day if I'm lucky.
I'm not sure you're right there, NW. I'm sure that my bike has more torque than yours. Although I do agree that torque has hit a wall since my 1997 YZF1000 had about the same torque numbers as my 2006 GSXR1000 does. For some reason, and it may be on purpose,torque has hovered around 80 ft/lbs in the liter class. It may be that tires aren't good enough for much more than that... You have to remember that whenever the OEMs have produced an engine that was "better" than the corresponding brakes, suspension and tires pandemonium has followed!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #25
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I'm not sure you're right there, NW. I'm sure that my bike has more torque than yours. Although I do agree that torque has hit a wall since my 1997 YZF1000 had about the same torque numbers as my 2006 GSXR1000 does. For some reason, and it may be on purpose,torque has hovered around 80 ft/lbs in the liter class. It may be that tires aren't good enough for much more than that... You have to remember that whenever the OEMs have produced an engine that was "better" than the corresponding brakes, suspension and tires pandemonium has followed!!!
I think the difference may lie in where the torque peak occurs between the older and newer models. Older models produced their peak torque at a lower rpm than say the 08-09 class right? I'm not stating fact but just asking as I've not looked for any direct comparsions.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #26
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
On the fly ergo adjustment ala Akira... There's no reason that rake and trail, handle bar reach, seat height, etc couldn't be adjusted like in a car.
i'll hold out for a highway star forkless hub steering, all ceramic twin turbo 1500cc producing 700+ horsepower. sign me up.

TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #27
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
i'll hold out for a highway star forkless hub steering, all ceramic twin turbo 1500cc producing 700+ horsepower. sign me up.

Nope maximum sweetness!!!

Haha!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #28
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I pondered this alot while mowing last night. I do not think we have seen the end of the curve but I feel its coming. Big HP for the existing liters will have to come either from new tech' like D.I. 2 strokes, valve actuation, or metallurgy. Otherwise durability will suffer. You may have to replace valves rather than have tham adjusted at 25K?
The only other way to get there is adding CCs ala the new V Max. GSXR 1800 anyone?

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #29
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

How about a 378hp 2.8l V8 Busa engine?

This is basically 2 I4 Busa engines that share a crank and bottom end.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #30
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

There comes a point where trick parts and/or more rpm becomes too unreliable, too costly and maintenance intensive. For an OEM type deal adding cubic inches, oops I mean more CCs is the way to go for a long OEM type life on the street while keeping maintenance requirements on par with todays bikes and what most owners would find acceptable.