Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #41
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer42 View Post

And Rider this response was not directed at you. "You" being the guys who talk about intentionally putting the bike down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKkMkodo4MI&NR=1

JC
Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #42
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #43
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #44
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Of course you would pick the numbers I picked from my head to counter the argument. Of course those numbers were approximations, I wasn't looking at the speedo when I looped, nor did I use a micrometre to measure the exact distance I slid. I made the assumption that you would get that from my nice round numbers that had a "25" foot variable thrown in.
I'm just surprised you didn't use meters instead of feet.

Quote:
All I'm gonna say is, I've never seen a pro in a race "have" to lay it down. Nor have I ever heard of anybody leaping from their car to lessen their impact.
Race tracks don't generally have Dump Trucks parked sideways in the corners.

Quote:
If you have to choose between going off of a cliff or laying it down, you absolutely positively have more control being on the brakes and steering. As opposed to being thrown around/rolling/sliding with your skin acting as the brakes. Tires have much much more grip than tissue and blood.
Once again, it's not a substitute for braking and maneuvering, it's a fall back option for when braking and maneuvering aren't working.

Ok, a question for all of you. You're headed for the edge of a cliff at Mach 10, and you have a catastrophic brake failure. Let's say you blew a line, and grabbed a big hand full of nothing. Rare? Sure. Impossible? No.

What's the plan?

JC
Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #45
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post

Once again, it's not a substitute for braking and maneuvering, it's a fall back option for when braking and maneuvering aren't working.

Ok, a question for all of you. You're headed for the edge of a cliff at Mach 10, and you have a catastrophic brake failure. Let's say you blew a line, and grabbed a big hand full of nothing. Rare? Sure. Impossible? No.

What's the plan?

JC

Your scenario is irrelevant..

You're trying to comparing the rolling friction of the wheels, to the sliding friction of your skin to the sliding friction of rubber.

Obviously if you have no brakes, you want to be as far away from the heavy thing on two rollers with bearings to cut the friction.

In your scenario, you're fucked either way.

But, ultimatlely I would likely downshift to use engine braking to slow down as much as I could. Maybe even lock up the rear by downshifting to first.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #46
Speedracer42
Kneedragger

Quote:

You're trying to comparing the rolling friction of the wheels, to the sliding friction of your skin to the sliding friction of rubber.

Obviously if you have no brakes, you want to be as far away from the heavy thing on two rollers with bearings to cut the friction.

But, ultimatlely I would likely downshift to use engine braking to slow down as much as I could. Maybe even lock up the rear by downshifting to first.

Agreed. The scenario is irrelevent. If you have catastrphic brake failure how will you dump the bike? You've got to slow it down anyway you can then bail. THAT is not what has been discussed. It was talk of abandoning a perfectly good cycle for your chances on the pavement.
Speedracer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #47
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:

What's the plan?

JC
I can say it is impossible, because no bike will go Mach 10.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #48
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:

Ok, so now you're heading over the cliff at Mach 5, instead of Mach 10.

Let me break this down further. Over the side of the cliff, is a 1000 foot drop, into a pool of sharks with laser beams. Do you "hope" you stop in time, or do you lowside into the guard rail?

Yes, you're fucked either way. The question is: How fucked?

JC
Old 11-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #49
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Ok, so now you're heading over the cliff at Mach 5, instead of Mach 10.

Let me break this down further. Over the side of the cliff, is a 1000 foot drop, into a pool of sharks with laser beams. Do you "hope" you stop in time, or do you lowside into the guard rail?

Yes, you're fucked either way. The question is: How fucked?

JC
I'll play..

you come to a field of razor blades at mach 15, you think laying down a motorcycle is a good option because you used to do it on your antiquated drum braked garbage 20 years ago, do you hop off or hit the brakes?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #50
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer42 View Post
Agreed. The scenario is irrelevent. If you have catastrphic brake failure how will you dump the bike? You've got to slow it down anyway you can then bail. THAT is not what has been discussed. It was talk of abandoning a perfectly good cycle for your chances on the pavement.
So in other words, you have no plan.

How do you dump the bike? Tuck the front end. It's faster with brakes, but it will still fall over without them.

JC