Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #51
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I'm old school. I believe that taking sick days reflects poorly on you and I don't think of sick days as something "That I need to take before the end of the year"
Same.

With all of the holidays, my vacation days, and weekends off, I will only work like 140 something days this year. Plus my company pays you 2 weeks before Xmas for any sick days not used that year.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #52
Rider
Moto GP Star

I work whatever hours I want as long as I get my shit done.
15 vacation days
6 holidays
shut down the week between xmas and new years which is ~6 more days off.
15 sick days
5 personal business days

And as a salaried employee we still get OT pay(depends on program we are on).
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #53
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Wise men once wrote:

Look at you and your struggle for freedom
But you ain't nothing
We all pay the man for living

Wouldn't it be nice for a change now
To be unchained
My life is for me now
Lazy ass southerner.
Always looking for an excuse to sit on the front porch drinkin lemonade.
Just so you can comment on how hot it is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #54
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
In my past jobs I have probably called out sick one time per year, and that was time off without pay because my past jobs were pretty crappy and we didnt get sick days. With my current job I will absolutely use my sick time as part of my vacation time. Its only a benefit if you take advantage of it, besides, in most cases nobody knows what type of hours you used for your time off anyway.
How are they not going to know, since at the vast majority of companies you need to call in sick to use a sick day?

If on the other hand they are totally cool with people using their 10 sick days for a trip to Europe, well that's one company that won't be very competitive with their peers in terms of cost control

Last edited by Homeslice; 03-12-2010 at 07:42 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #55
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Company I'm with pays nothing, but give 5 sick days after 90 days, 1` week vacation after six months. At your 1 year anniversary, you get another week sick time and 2 weeks vacation.

The first day it's over 70 degrees, I'm taking a sick day. They all know I'll be on the bike.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #56
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

My husband doesn't get personal days. He goes to work for four weeks, then home for four weeks. While on the ship he works 12 hour days, everyday.

If the schedule puts him there during a holiday, so be it.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #57
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
How are they not going to know, since at the vast majority of companies you need to call in sick to use a sick day?
It depends on the supervisor. In my case I just request the time off and put in the hours Im going to use, sick or vacation or some of each.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #58
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I was born in GenX, but totally a GenMe'er.
Heh, born GenX, but I align more with the BabyBoomers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I wonder if reality will slap more of them in the face than anything else. Companies are there to make money, sure they wan tto give perks to get the best people but some of that stuff is ridiculous.
For real... I've seen lotsa people come into the workplace with ridiculously off-center expectations... College grads who think they know it all and can whip shit into place because they took a test on business management once... young up and comer's who just don't understand why they need to work more than 8 hours in a day...

Yeah yeah great... I'd love to work an 8 and skate gig where I get paid top dollar and am marginally busy all day... that's why I work 9+ hours per day and bust my ass as much as possible. It's not about getting my job done, it's about getting my job done and making the company more money. The more I do that, the faster I move up and the more valuable I become... and the less likely I am to get the walking papers if costs need to be cut (though obviously, there are no guarantees).

I didn't start off my career with the expectation of making big money and getting a retarded amount of perks. I have however, tripled my income since my first full-time job.. and doubled my income in the past 4 years. "Zach, why do you work all those hours and focus so much on work?" Look at my paycheck motherfucker... that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I have found that those who feel that they work their ass off into the ground are usually not all that great at what they do.
That's soooooooooo true in most cases. I don't have to work nearly as hard at my new job as I did at the old. I was good... nationally recongized multiple times in fact... but I had to fucking kill myself to do that. The new job, I still work damn hard... just as much effort really, but the results come more naturally. So technically I don't have to work as hard, but I do anyway.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #59
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Oh... and just cause people were posting it...

I left a job with 15 vacation days, 7 personal days which could be used as vacation days, and 12 sick days per year... I basically set my own schedule, but on occassion was required to work odd and weekend hours.

I got a new job with 14 vacation days, 6 personal days, and no specified limit on sick days.... set my own schedule... can work at home sometimes if I want and have to travel about 10% of the time... no weekends though.

Truth is... I tried to negotiate less vacation/personal days for more money, but they wouldn't do it. I still ended up negotiating about an 8% increase from their initial offer.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote