Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #41
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
I know very few electricians that this has happened to.
Then they don't live in NW Florida. Everyone is hurting here.

Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #42
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
A lot of times those people who dig the ditches, maintain eletricity, mow the lawns, etc make more than the doctors in the place or have the potential to.

I remember seeing a statistic that showed the most common vehicle driven by millionares is the F150 (the most common work truck). Infact I think it'd be safe to say that most millionares probably don't have a college degree (if even a HS diploma).

Then you have Union workers.
I'd like to see those stats

Off the top of my head
Small business owner.
He owns the truck, his workers drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #43
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Meanwhile the guys with socialogy degrees are on unemployment or living with their parents because they are above it or dont have the skills.
No those people take jobs at Barnes & Noble.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #44
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I'd like to see those stats

Off the top of my head
Small business owner.
He owns the truck, his workers drive it.
The small business owner started somewhere. He didn't wake up and then send a crew out with a $10k lawmower or a $50,000 directional bore machine. Then look at the farmers out there who have a $500,000 tractor.

Usually those people paid their dues by being a worthless $8 an hour labor workers who learned the trade and got their own equipment and started work themselves to work themselves up to millionares.

Most college graduates (Bachelor or above) I know don't break above $60k (closest one is a mechanical engineer at 58k). I know a rad tech who was started at $60k with an associates degree.

The point being is if you want to be a milllionare the best way to get there is probably not a college route.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #45
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Every small business I worked for was owned by a wealthy person who started the company with money from his parents or his wifes parents.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #46
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Every small business I worked for was owned by a wealthy person who started the company with money from his parents or his wifes parents.
So true. The whole American dream of building a business from the ground up and rising from the roots of near-poverty to being a successful business owner are largely bullshit. In fact, your chances of making it are probably about the same as winning the lotto.

It takes money to make money.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #47
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
So true. The whole American dream of building a business from the ground up and rising from the roots of near-poverty to being a successful business owner are largely bullshit. In fact, your chances of making it are probably about the same as winning the lotto.

I'm not sure that it takes money to make money but I do believe that there is a "money mentality" that people get locked into. Many of the poorer people will remain poor because that is how they were programmed.

I know several business owners that came from middle to upper class families that went to college and started their careers after graduation.

The first three I can think of "did it on their own". They didn't borrow money from their parents. However, they came from families with a solid financial background. They knew how to handle money. They worked hard and kept overhead low. They started at 0 (not in debt). They EXPECTED themselves to be sucessful because they came from success.

On the other hand, I have personally seen a business owner go from near poverty to a seven figure income. He went from working by himself in one truck to a big office and a fleet of trucks on the road. It actually came pretty easy. He's broke now. One big contract failed and the business crumbled.

His business, yacht, RV, multiple houses were all financed. Once the cash flow stopped, the lifestyle was over. He had a poor man's mentality and over a million a year in income couldn't break that.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #48
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:

(off the top of my head)
It takes talent and knowledge to get others to invest in your idea.
It requires planning and dedication to turn that idea into a successful business.
It takes knowledge to keep that business running smoothly.
It takes creativity, knowledge and dedication to make it grow.

Just thinking about all the folks I've known throughout the years who got into the "be my own boss" bandwagon (a nice wagon to be in if you can do it)

Folks under the age of 35 with just a high school education who tried to start a business.
% of who had a business plan - 0
% Who currently have a successful business - 0
% Who could tell me about the market they were trying to break into - 1

Folks with 2yrs or more education
% of who had a business plan - 80
% Who currently have a successful business - 60
% Who could tell me about the market they were trying to break into - 70

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #49
pauldun170
Serious Business

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36335626...mall_business/

Quote:
Old 05-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #50
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:

Then they suck.

My GF's grandpa started his own company and was an immigrant from Greece with no money (and didn't speak any English). Now he owns a company that is worth more than $100million. I know an ambulance owner who also started with nothing and he is worth well over 100mil. I believe the founders of home depot started with nothing or very little. A firefighter friend of mine started a pressure washing business and by himself brings in $250k a year. Same for an asshole landscaper I worked for who made $500k and his dad beat him for fun (his mom died giving birth)

A lot of succesful businesses I know of started with nothing. The difference is unlike you, me, and billions of others, they had the initiative to work hard and never give up and it is why they are wealthy now.

Yes, I know you have the Paris Hiltons of the world but over all people who are wealthy are wealthy because they stived for it.