Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 AM   #91
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
So you know more than others that we are all going to die. U smart.
Combat, two run ins with cancer, dead fiance, dead parents, dead siblings, dead friends, dead enemies, etc...yea I know just how tenuous our hold on life is first hand. I've watched people die right in front of me several times. Spitting blood, taking their last breath, saying the last words they'll ever fucking say. Yea I know all about death. What do you know?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:02 AM   #92
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
You're right, Gas. He made good points. But all he did in my eyes was prove he couldn't be any further from my situation and decisions. But, like you said, different strokes for different folks. I'll never stop riding...unless I'm too broken to do so, or dead. I've always been decent at regular sports but I'm actually above the curve in regards to riding. That, and my naturally competitive spirit doesn't allow me to just call it quits.
What's so unique about your situation? What, you're the only one that's ever crashed and had some blubbering woman or family member force them to promise they will stop riding those god awful death machines? You're the only one that's crashed and lost their nerve? You're the only one that rides and has people that love him? Not even close.

You blamed it on the insurance... What's the difference? Liability is cheap and if you crash on the track they won't pay for it anyway. BTW check your health insurance because they might not either. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if you quit riding street and then get hurt without any coverage at the track? How would you like to be paying. Your current medical bills out of pocket? I'm sure that chopper ride wasn't cheap.

Anyway, do whatever floats your boat, I don't have any vested interest in whether you ride again or not. I was just addressing your excuses and trying to lighten things up a bit. Have fun listening to bikes fly by all summer while you sit leashed to the porch.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #93
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
True dat! I'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to cheer/fire him up a little. To be honest, I've considered quitting several times between funerals and crashes but I always come back. Like I said, you ARE going to die, I know that better than most. I plan to die with a smile on my face and lots of stories to tell in hell!
There is NOTHING wrong with blowing thru the pearl gates in a mangled fire ball mess of metal. Some might even say it's better than dieing in bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I never understood the chaps thing.
It covers the important parts and some non-important parts. Mostly guys use it for warmth more so than rash protection.

Quote:
You're right, Gas. He made good points. But all he did in my eyes was prove he couldn't be any further from my situation and decisions. But, like you said, different strokes for different folks. I'll never stop riding...unless I'm too broken to do so, <INJECT> or dead. I've always been decent at regular sports but I'm actually above the curve in regards to riding. That, and my naturally competitive spirit doesn't allow me to just call it quits.
Hey you forgot one spot in your thing. Ride a trike, then die. Trike's are fine if you are handicapped or able to draw social security. Otherwise...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #94
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
What's so unique about your situation? What, you're the only one that's ever crashed and had some blubbering woman or family member force them to promise they will stop riding those god awful death machines? You're the only one that's crashed and lost their nerve? You're the only one that rides and has people that love him? Not even close.

You blamed it on the insurance... What's the difference? Liability is cheap and if you crash on the track they won't pay for it anyway. BTW check your health insurance because they might not either. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants if you quit riding street and then get hurt without any coverage at the track? How would you like to be paying. Your current medical bills out of pocket? I'm sure that chopper ride wasn't cheap.

Anyway, do whatever floats your boat, I don't have any vested interest in whether you ride again or not. I was just addressing your excuses and trying to lighten things up a bit. Have fun listening to bikes fly by all summer while you sit leashed to the porch.
My wife is not some blubbering woman. I think your experience with broads in your past are fucking with you, making you think all girls are whack. And I'm active duty military. I get my commander to sign off on a high-risk activity letter, like I had before the wreck, and I'm good to go. I don't have to worry about paying for medical. It's more like you're attacking my excuses to pick an argument. You make it sound like I'm giving it up altogether and will never ride street again. I have a plan...and it involves letting some time pass before I hit the streets. I'm totally fine with it. Will I miss riding with my buds? You're god damn right. But I'm doing the right thing right now. Sorry if you don't agree with it.

Wait...no I'm not.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #95
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

DLIT,
I've been ready this thread since it started. I'm glad to hear you are mending well and have your own plan. It's your life and your family, you decide what works.

In regards to what caused the "lack of adhesion" leading to your accident, I think it's just a lot of small things that added up at the wrong time for you. You mentioned the tires cooling down, the features of the road and the possibility of debris. All parts of the puzzle. Plus riding at the higher percentages leave less room for error ( BTDT with dirt bikes )

As far as your recovery, don't push yourself too hard. If you're going for PT, listen to them and follow the directions to a "T". I pushed too hard when I was rehabbing my knee after ACL reconstructive surgery and put myself back by about two weeks.

Good luck and heal well.
Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #96
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
My wife is not some blubbering woman. I think your experience with broads in your past are fucking with you, making you think all girls are whack. And I'm active duty military. I get my commander to sign off on a high-risk activity letter, like I had before the wreck, and I'm good to go. I don't have to worry about paying for medical. It's more like you're attacking my excuses to pick an argument. You make it sound like I'm giving it up altogether and will never ride street again. I have a plan...and it involves letting some time pass before I hit the streets. I'm totally fine with it. Will I miss riding with my buds? You're god damn right. But I'm doing the right thing right now. Sorry if you don't agree with it.

Wait...no I'm not.

Well gee whiz, where did I get these ideas? Hmmmmm.... Oh yea, this might have something to do with it,

DLIT, "Not a bad guess. I wasn't trail braking. I just use my lean to scrub speed off if need be. But you could be right. I still think I should've felt some feedback. I was already leaning right. Who knows. Important thing is I'm here still. I'll proly never ride street again. I don't have fun unless I'm hauling ass, but I can't risk getting that lucky again. My gear and a metric fuck ton of luck saved my ass."

If I can't be the "fastest guy" then I don't want to ride at all....

DLIT, "I still have my R6. And I'm the fastest guy I know on the streets. But I highly doubt I'll ever ride street on a sport bike again."

Why do I think that you wouldn't be happy in the "slow" group?....

DLIT, "That's the thing. I'm not having fun if I'm not hauling ass anymore. It's kind of an all or nothing type thing with me. Even the track is still up in the air. I'd have to sell all my street fairings just so I wouldn't be tempted."

Blaming the insurance rates for your decision....

DLIT, "My insurance is gonna sky rocket after I claim the R1. I probably couldn't afford keeping the R6 fully covered anyway. Off the street it will come."

Putting it on the wife/family....

DLIT, "Won't be on the streets in probably years. For me, for my wife, for my family. Track only for a while."

This is my favorite because you state that you're set in your ways even though you've progressively changed your mind as you've healed....

DLIT, "It goes back to me actually being able to ride again. I'll be satisfied in the middle group for now. There's nothing to argue. I'm set in my ways and thoughts now.

Anyway, I expect that you'll be back on the street, on a sport bike by Spring at the latest, barring any SO complications, that is. Good luck, man, I mean that!

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 01-02-2011 at 02:17 PM..
Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #97
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Bet me I'll be on the street that quick.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #98
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Bet me I'll be on the street that quick.
Yea I'm sure that you're right....your wife probably won't let you off the leash quite that soon.... How about this, I bet that you won't make the 2 year mark you were talking about before! ZERO street for TWO WHOLE YEARS? Yea right.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #99
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Ok, first off, Glad you made it through that fuckstorm of a crash. the bike looks to be totally baked. I know you said that it didn't burn, but from the pics it sure looks like it did.

Secondly, I remember my last wreck had the most rash I ever had in a bike wreck and a broken wrist. I thought that I was done too. I got the bike repaired and am back on two wheels now for the past 5 years now with only close calls. (Knock on wood) However, if you are not gonna ride on the road again thats your choice and yours alone. As for the cruiser thing, like Gas said, he has enjoyed it and hasn't looked back. And also like he said he has met some more interesting people since, like ME.

Lastly, mend well and learn from what happened and try not to rinse and repeat. Take care and God bless in whatever you decide

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #100
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Combat, two run ins with cancer, dead fiance, dead parents, dead siblings, dead friends, dead enemies, etc...yea I know just how tenuous our hold on life is first hand. I've watched people die right in front of me several times. Spitting blood, taking their last breath, saying the last words they'll ever fucking say. Yea I know all about death. What do you know?
I think I know what comes after death....

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote