Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
See... law against DUI protects OTHER people. That's what you're not addressing...
OK, let's address it. Where do you stand on mandatory eye protection laws for motorcyclists?[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
And again, an inconvenience... nobody else is directly getting hurt or killed because I didn't wear my helmet and ended up as a skidmark on the highway. So again, if you are REALLY concerned about inconveniencing others, we should just ban motorcycles... I mean, if I get run over by a semi, the highway is going to be shut down for a LONG time...
You have a really odd way of looking at things. The obvious solution in your scenario, would be to ban semi trucks.

You keep mentioning the word "ban" in your posts. You're trying to make the point that, banning something, is a logical extension of safety laws. You are, of course, kidding. Well here's the thing: Some asshole in a government office somewhere, is having the same thought, only he's not kidding.

We are a minority, and public perception is already against us. As it stands, I can walk into a shop, and buy a stock bike that will almost double any state speed limit. Every time some asshat offs himself on a bike, some asshole wants to ban them, or limit their performance. For me, helmet laws decrease the odds of that happening. Less dead people = less press. Less press = fast motorcycles.

Sure, I care about the "common good", but my reasoning is also self serving.

Another great thing about helmet laws? Who's more likely to get pulled over, me in full gear, or some cruiser dude in a fake D.O.T. beanie? It's a win/win. Cruiser dude has probably been bar hopping, so there's another drunk off the road, and less cops available to hassle me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Is it a right to not be inconvenienced on roads that you don't have a right to use?
I look at it as a courtesy issue. If I smoke, I go outside. When I ride, I wear a helmet.

JC