Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #101
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Brazil wouldn't be my choice for a backup country, but you have history there, so that's understandable.

You need to try another state first.
Lots of Canadians seem to be retiring to Brazil. If you have money, it's good.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #102
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Greece. Or somewhere in the Med. Sicily? I figure with the Greek economy on the skids you ought to be able to retire there fairly cheap.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #103
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Greece. Or somewhere in the Med. Sicily? I figure with the Greek economy on the skids you ought to be able to retire there fairly cheap.
The government and government services are screwed, in Greece. People, for the most part, still have money. They just aren't paying their taxes.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:15 PM   #104
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I have a "backup" country to go to when this turns to complete shit. Of course, I've lived here for almost my entire life, and I prefer it here...used to...I don't know anymore. It's getting scary.

It's regressing. Devolving. Losing freedoms, while other emerging countries are gaining them.

I agree, it's not likely to suddenly "change back" to heading in the right direction.

I love this country. This pains me so much.

I'm conflicted. American friends have already left for Brazil! THEY say it's better there, tell me to come, that it's time to change horses. I'm stubborn. I love it here...used to...I dunno.

Just sad.
I have to ask, when was that time when Americans had so many freedoms that you fell in love with it? What period has this nation regressed from?
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #105
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
The government and government services are screwed, in Greece. People, for the most part, still have money. They just aren't paying their taxes.
Oh well then just like here eh? No lateral move for me!

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #106
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I hear better things about Costa Rica, namely medical expertise.
Costa Rica, and Brasil, and some other south and central american countries have huge american compounds with people who retire there. In fact if you can get in on one of the american compounds that have sprouted over the last 2 decades you can live just like you do now except in little america.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #107
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I have to ask, when was that time when Americans had so many freedoms that you fell in love with it? What period has this nation regressed from?
I'm old, dude. Talkin' 60s.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #108
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Croatia.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #109
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I'm old, dude. Talkin' 60s.
Maybe in the idealized way they are presented today but in actuality I just don't see the 60s being any improvement.

You are talking about half a decade that legally accepted blatant segregation and discrimination then socially accepted them for the rest of the decade. In that decade MLK was assassinated for trying to advance the civil rights agenda and people were killed on multiple occasions for nothing more than trying to register black voters. There were also bombings, murders, beatings, bogus arrests, and a series of riots all across the country like we haven't seen since all over that same issue. Today if you simply oppose the President's policies you are sure to be branded a racist simply because (oh by the way) the President is black. Not only do today's so called civil rights leaders have little fear of assassination, when they screw up they are given free passes.

Then we can talk about similar riots, beatings, garbage arrests, and more killings over the war in Vietnam. Say what you will about Cindy Sheehan, Code Pink and the rest but they never had to face what the student protesters at Kent State or (less well known) Jackson State did though those were a few months after the 60s officially ended. Of course Cindy Sheehan, Code Pink and the rest weren't going around starting fires and destroying cars like at Jackson State or burning down ROTC buildings like Kent State either. You also had The Weathermen (or Weather Underground if you prefer) start their campaign of bombing and violence to protest the war. We can't forget about the violence that ensued at the 68 Democratic National Convention either.

What I have listed above may read like a list of bad actions on both sides that should be taken with a big helping of "Oh well", but I don't accept that from the government. Go through the list and look at the abuses done at the hands of the authorities and the government. There were at a minimum tens of thousands, but more likely well over a hundred thousand bogus arrests made. Then there was a certain unwillingness on the part of the authorities to really go after people who agreed with them as seen with the Birmingham church bombing, multiple Freedom Rider beatings, multiple black voter registration beatings, and beatings of war protesters. Finally we can't forget the shootings of protesters that occurred at the hands of police and soldiers.

The most egregious of the abuses were done by the CIA and the FBI. The FBI was able to operate with virtual impunity and basically investigated whoever they wanted, but sure seemed to focus on civil rights leaders and the anti-war movement. They had this freedom because many in the government supported them but Hoover had secret files to motivate those who didn't. The CIA came up with a report of its own abuses from that time called the "Family Jewels", the majority of which was released a few years ago. If airport security and The Patriot Act make you a bit misty this report will make you puke, especially considering it probably isn't comprehensive.

Anyway, a person who agreed with the government may have enjoyed more freedom in the 60s than they do now. For American citizens who disagreed though, getting on the bad side of the government was a hell of a lot easier in the 60s and had significantly more dire consequences than it does now.

If I have to pick between the egregious abuses of authority perpetrated by the government in the 60s and the possibility of being randomly selected (to prevent discrimination cause that is bad and all) for scanning before getting on an airplane it is not a particularly difficult choice.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #110
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Fuck that, I'm a straight white male....I wanna go back to the 60's.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote