We feed twice.

Once in AM, once in PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #142
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Are you raw food meat with bone people still giving your dogs bones (rawhide, cow femur, etc) as treats or what not? Or do they have little interest in that after eating their raw chicken?

What do you think a 150# mastiff would eat? one whole chicken a day or 3 leg quarters?
The weight percentage shmike mentioned is a good rule of thumb, and then you just vary it based on your dog's metabolism. My big guy weighs 90lbs and eats about a half a chicken a day, plus "fixins." He has a very high metabolism, I don't think a 150lb dog would eat a whole lot more. A whole chicken a day seems like a lot, but if you're talking a small chicken, like 2.5lbs...then that might be good.

I would find a Mastiff forum, most dog forums these days have a Raw Diet sub forum so you can see what other breed owners are doing for their dogs.

I don't give my dogs anything to chew on, no raw hide or anything. Its too hard to keep an eye on them with stuff like that laying around for me, but they don't chew up any of my stuff so its all good. The raw diet is supposed to satisfy that urge they have to chew stuff, seems to work.

I feed once or twice a day, depends on what food they're getting. Raw meaty meals are fed once, ground meals twice.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:42 AM   #143
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

We feed twice a day every other day - evening only the other days.

Sadie isn't interested in chew-toys [or anything to chew for entertainment]. She now consumes any bones we give her... her favorite seems to be the soup/stock beef bones we get. They are gone in about 15 minutes.

I think the important thing to remember with this type of diet, there are good guidelines to stick to. But, each dog is different in what their needs are. It's much like each of us have our own personal diet needs, same goes for our dogs.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #144
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Lilly gets fed twice a day most days, though I periodically fast her for one meal, or sometimes a full day if she's not eliminating properly or shows hesitation eating (which is rare).

She annihilates small things like beef kneecaps and will strip those rib bone treats down to bare bone in a matter of minutes.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #145
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

And how much does your average whole chicken or leg quarter weight?

I can't do this now as we still have our live in "inlaws" who have 2 dogs. Just not going thru all that. But maybe after they live in another month.

Other things I consider...

Do you still feed them random table scraps?

What do you do if you have a dog sitter, cause you're on vacation???? Further, what your dog stays at a house with other dogs that eat kibble? Feed your dog outside away from others? How do you keep your dog from their dog's open kibble? Or don't worry about it?

Brinks' main vet already said he understands the raw meat diet. He said he has seen it first hand transform a dog that needed extensive teeth work/scrubbing and was over weight to healthy and clean teeth. He said the biggest thing he sees. People don't stick with it. It's a great deal more hassle than kibble feeding.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #146
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
And how much does your average whole chicken or leg quarter weight?

I can't do this now as we still have our live in "inlaws" who have 2 dogs. Just not going thru all that. But maybe after they live in another month.

Other things I consider...

Do you still feed them random table scraps?

What do you do if you have a dog sitter, cause you're on vacation???? Further, what your dog stays at a house with other dogs that eat kibble? Feed your dog outside away from others? How do you keep your dog from their dog's open kibble? Or don't worry about it?

Brinks' main vet already said he understands the raw meat diet. He said he has seen it first hand transform a dog that needed extensive teeth work/scrubbing and was over weight to healthy and clean teeth. He said the biggest thing he sees. People don't stick with it. It's a great deal more hassle than kibble feeding.
I've done it before, but it was a chore. I kept my Dad's two boxers for the summer last year, and despite their health problems he has refused to try my diet. At feeding time I put them out back with their kibble and fed my dogs their meat inside. If I brought out the meat first my Dad's male boxer wouldn't eat, expecting a tasty chickeny treat instead.

I feed all the random table scraps I can get my hands on. Nothing with onions or cooked bones though.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #147
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Obviously nothing too spicy or cooked bones. That's standard issue caution.

I'm just wondering how it would be for a long weekend type Brinks over at the inlaws or somin. They have dogs and that would make it harder. Plus their dog food (kibble) is usually out.

Will have to get wifey to check this thread out...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #148
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I am way too lazy for this guys. .. I'll keep buying the "good stuff" and hope for the best.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #149
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Obviously nothing too spicy or cooked bones. That's standard issue caution.

I'm just wondering how it would be for a long weekend type Brinks over at the inlaws or somin. They have dogs and that would make it harder. Plus their dog food (kibble) is usually out.

Will have to get wifey to check this thread out...
Switching back and forth between kibble and raw tends to make them sick. Dogs don't adapt to sudden variety for some reason.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #150
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I travelled with Sadie to Minnesota over the Christmas holiday last year for 12 days. It was so much easier to just stop into a grocery store and get cut up chicken then to schlep her food with.

If I'm out I have friends stop by and take care of her - or she goes to a private kennel close by that doesn't do cement kennels.

Even when we fed her kibble, we didn't keep it out all the time.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote