Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #161
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Physical activity is necessary for a kid to develop into something? Tell that to my HS valedictorian... You know, the kid who read books during recess, grew up to own multiple companies and become a multimillionaire before he turned 30.

I agree that kids need physical activity to be healthy, but the importance people put on organized sports in this country is INSANE... Like you can't learn teamwork, discipline, and humility elsewhere... You guys are talking about HS sports getting kids into college and providing a pathway to a better life in general, which is a fucking joke... I venture to guess there's a significantly higher percentage of kids who's pathway is determined by academic achievement. Further, with all the corruption in college sports, how many of those athletes get a high quality education? Because you know they don't all go on to be millionaire pro athletes...
That guy you're talking about, did he merely OWN companies, and hire people to lead them? If so, that's not really impressive. In order to actually lead a company, you need leadership skills, and someone who simply reads books after school isn't going to develop that. I'm not saying he needs to play football, but athletics of any kind (regardless if they are school-sponsored or not) are very effective at teaching kids confidence, self-control, assertiveness, time management, the ability to banter with someone without blowing a cork, the importance of putting yourself aside and working towards a team goal, and probably most importantly, how to motivate & encourage others.

Activities like marching band are great too, but personally I think they don't provide as many benefits.

People can get good grades and get into good colleges and then get good jobs because of that........But, will they become leaders of those companies? Will they have a good social life?

Personally, the most successful people I know are those who got good grades AND played sports.......They are great time managers / multi-taskers, and they know how to navigate the social / interpersonal world within an organization (i.e. grease the wheels)

Last edited by Homeslice; 09-16-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #162
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
That's a pointy-headed quibble. Look at the taxation rates, by income, back as far as 1932. Look how much people were being taxed during the 1950s, which are generally acknowledged as the "golden era" of the United States. Rich people still managed to be rich.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_..._United_States
Fuck me.

I had a long response typed out and lost it!!!

Cliff's notes:
Today, top eaners = $379k.
1950 top earner = $200k ($1.8 mil today)

Everyone's share was higher then but loopholes were more widespread back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I'm not a fan of higher taxes, for anybody. But I don't think there's a world where this sentence is true, technically or otherwise.
Really?

Use PC's example, 1950's.

Lowest tax bracket was 20%, only about 22% of population got out of paying income taxes.

Today, the lowest bracket is 10% and nearly HALF all all filers pay no income taxes (over 47% last I saw).

I don't care how much you make or what the top tax bracket is, 0% is always easier to pay than any other non-negative percent.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #163
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Tell you what, I'll take the advice of an actual university administrator over a random forum poster over what classes she takes that will apply to her college career.
Or how about take actual advice from someone who is doing it. University Administrators will fuck you over in a second, just to get you out the door (or in the door in your case). What is your daughter wanting to do? Doctor (though I bet Vet)? Then you are wasting time and other people's (including yours) money by having her in an anatomy class. If she is a biology major or some other hard science major then that class will not count (unless they are willing to make it a free elective). It'd be better for her to concentrate on another class that she can skip in college. That way she can concentrate on her real classes that really count (no matter what degree she goes for).

AMJ:
THe point I'm getting at is schools tell people they can't do it and that they are not cut out for it. Pretty shitty thing to tell a 14 year old. So I went through believing them. It wasn't until after high school I decided to go back to school and turns out I'm great at college. I picked one of the absolute hardest degrees anyone could get (biology majors can't stand what I do) and I've done nothing but As except for a B in Public Speaking and in World Literature. English has never been my strong suit.

I'm wanting schools to educate kids to the point that when they turn 18 and are out of high school, they can say "fuck it, I'm going to go to college afterall" and then do it and be prepared for it. Most AP kids aren't prepared for college anyways. I had kids in my Calc 1 class who had AP Calculus and couldn't derive and failed. Same for my general chemistry. Dumbasses couldn't even balance a reaction or understand a mole, yet they have already had chemistry in high school (where I had none).
Old 09-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #164
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I'm not saying he needs to play football, but athletics of any kind (regardless if they are school-sponsored or not) are very effective at teaching kids confidence, self-control, assertiveness, time management, the ability to banter with someone without blowing a cork, the importance of putting yourself aside and working towards a team goal, and probably most importantly, how to motivate & encourage others.
Very true. President Obama is known and was elected based on his high school sports resume.

How come when I think of sports and teamwork all I can think about is drunken fans yelling and screaming and then cheering when the QB hurts himself and has to live with permament injuries. Or high school kids dropping dead on the field because a coach over exhausted them.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #165
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Very true. President Obama is known and was elected based on his high school sports resume.

How come when I think of sports and teamwork all I can think about is drunken fans yelling and screaming and then cheering when the QB hurts himself and has to live with permament injuries. Or high school kids dropping dead on the field because a coach over exhausted them.
Jealousies?

Come on man, really?

OK, so here is a question for y'all... if you feel the rich should pay more taxes, is it because the rich utilize more of those services that our taxes provide?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #166
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Jealousies?

Come on man, really?

OK, so here is a question for y'all... if you feel the rich should pay more taxes, is it because the rich utilize more of those services that our taxes provide?
Jealousnes? Haha, whatever. I played football my 9th grade year and only becuase coaches begged me to. I guess they didn't like it when a 200lb low body fat band nerd freshman could out squat, bench, and sprint their star senior players. I just found football a waste of time to me. I had a fake ID, and I much prefered spending my friday nights rolling to a college town nearbye and chasing college girls (becuase high school pussy is boring other than it is better than your fist) and drinking beer. My sports was lifting weights at a private gym, BMX, mountain biking, and playing football with my friends.

But I understand. You are in Texas and they don't really have much going for them other than a government that doesn't scare away businesses.

For the other. The shittiest roads I drive on are in front of the nicest houses in Atlanta. Also if they use say more water, eletricity, etc for their home, then they are going to pay more anyways. People want to tax the rich out a jealousy.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #167
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
....I guess they didn't like it when a 200lb low body fat band nerd freshman could out squat, bench......
So what's the squat/bench now?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:26 PM   #168
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

One of the rules we have, don't peak in high school.

azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #169
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
One of the rules we have, don't peak in high school.

Another rule...if all your life experiences suck perhaps the blame should...
No wait that's not right...
I cant remember the wording,

Never mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #170
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Jealousnes? Haha, whatever. I played football my 9th grade year and only becuase coaches begged me to. I guess they didn't like it when a 200lb low body fat band nerd freshman could out squat, bench, and sprint their star senior players. I just found football a waste of time to me. I had a fake ID, and I much prefered spending my friday nights rolling to a college town nearbye and chasing college girls (becuase high school pussy is boring other than it is better than your fist) and drinking beer. My sports was lifting weights at a private gym, BMX, mountain biking, and playing football with my friends.
I hope the drinking age down there was 18 or 19, because I find it hard to believe that a 9th grader is going to pass off as a 21-y/o.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote